buying new utility trailer? whats needed to make it road legal?

Outlawed Genetics

Jul 17, 2008
thinking of buying a utility trailer from lowes but wondering what else i'd have to do to be able to use it on public roads to haul my blasters legaly

I'd check your states DOT rules. Probably lights/reflectors are required for night hauling. I'm not sure when a tag has to come into play.

Pennsylvania - Other Types of Vehicles - Registration Steps With The PA DMV - DMV Guide

When you register your homemade trailer, or one made from a kit, there are several registration steps. Take four color photos, one of each side of the trailer. With these photos, be sure to include the chains attached to the tow hitch, and of the lighting present on the trailer.

Complete an MV-1, Application for Certificate of Title, and Form MV-426, Application for Reconstructed or Specially Constructed Vehicle.

You'll also need to submit a Bill of Sale and documents that prove ownership. These documents could include a certificate of title, the manufacturer's certificate or origin, salvage certificate, and receipts for all major components.

The title fee for homemade trailers is $22.50, plus you'll need to pay sales tax, and the appropriate trailer registration fee. The annual registration fees for trailers weighing:

* 3,000 lbs. or less―$6

* 3,001 lbs. to 10,000 lbs.―$12

* 10,001 lbs. or more―$27

You may register trailers 10,000 pounds or less for one to five years at a time.

This is for homemade trailer so I am not sure if it differs but the best bet would be call the DMV and ask.

Lowes sells trailers. They have a 5' x 8' for 600 bucks. Use a 10 percent off coupon and get it for 540. Not the best trailer ever made. Cant beat 540 dollars though. All set to roll.

Yeah my bro in law just got one from Lowes not to long ago. It had everything needed to be road legal. The bullshit part was he had to pay the trailer in whole. They gave him the slip and all the info for the trailer (vin size weight class) and had to go to the MVA before he could take it. Had to get his title registration and tags and then had to go back to Lowes show them everything and then he could take it.

So make sure you go early since you prob have to use about half a tank of gas just to pick it up. LOL

so what size at minimum do you think i'd need to haul 1 blaster? 4x6? and for 2 maybe the 5x8? the 4x6 is $498 and the 5x8 is $648

i got to get around to register mine, i ve been riding around with lost tag on mine for awhile

I have a 5x8 that I built and I can get my blaster a 250x and another blaster on it. Just stand them up and strap them down.
isnt it bad for them to be stood on end? besides wheelies of course.

well im a retard.l.... went, bought the 5x8...... damn thing is like 1.5 inches too narrow to sit 2 stock length blasters on sideways.