Broken rear brake caliper/creative ideas???

2L8

May 15, 2013
I bought a 1999 blaster that needs a little bit of work for my wife and one of the problems was the rear brake kept getting hung up and the cable was in pretty tough shape, however the pads still had plenty of life left. Knowing the brakes were mechanical and not hydraulic, I figured they were dry and loaded with dirt. The adjuster on the caliper side of the cable was very rusty and I soaked it in WD-40 for a couple days, just to have it shear right off flush with caliper. I already ordered a new full length cable online (I want to retain the parking brake for my wife), so i cut the beat up cable off, took apart and cleaned the internals back to working order. Now comes the fun, I soaked the remaining piece of adjuster for a couple more day and using a dremel with a cutoff wheel I put a decently deep score in the broken piece being careful not the damage the caliper, put it a little heat on it and tried to turn the piece with a flathead screwdriver while hitting the end of a screw drive with a dead blow hammer. That only chewed up the groove I made and the piece didn't budge. I have a rather limited set of tools where I live now and I am not going to buy a new tap and die set (I own a set but don't have current access to), and I not convince an "easy out" will work. Anyone have any MacGyver-like ideas?

I would rather not spend money that I don't need to.

Update: I bought easy out (screw removers) and of course it immediately stripped the end of and is now stuck in there too. I guess I wll just bring it to the machine shop that is bore/hone my cylinder. Not thrilled but probably still cheaper than buying a new one.

Thanks

Last edited: