brake bleeding help?

Andy

Oct 9, 2010
Lake Zurich, IL
strange as I have done this on bikes before but for some reason getting odd results, thought to try to get some input:) I just swapped my whole front end onto a different frame and to do so had to disconnect the brake lines. When going to bleed I have filled reservoir, replaced cap, applied lever pressure, then loosened bleeder bolts (attached to short clear hoses)... seems should get fluid flowing out clear hoses or at least a drop in reservoir fluid as the lines begin to be filled... but I get nothing. I don't see any leaks. I did replace the upper and lower crush washers on each side (and tightened to specs). However, these were a bit different in thickness than the original (bit thicker) but diameter, width of washers all the same. Any ideas... I may just get a vaccuum bleeder, always wanted one of those anyways!

When I replaced my stock front lines it took forever to get all the air out. The only thing that I did different was I left the res. cap off when I bled mine

thanks guys... yeah I actually think you may be able to just leave cap off... did try that, sounds like this is just a bit of a pain, I may just get one of these vacuum set-ups (if I can find at reasonable price). I have put speed bleeders on a motorcycle before that helped but this is still always annoying.

heres how we do it, been doin harleys this way forever

take cover off resovoir
fill to top
leave bleeders closed
zip tie brake lever to handle bar
leave it like that over night
the trapped air will rise up and out.
i leave them overnight. been doin it this way for years
and has never failed me.
do same for rear brakes as well, cept you gotta tie down brake pedal somehow

another tip, take the bleeders out, make sure the holes in bleeders are clear, they get mud
and dirt packed up in there, you'd be suprised how bad. clean up or replace them
i always make sure they have the little rubber caps on them, you can get um
at the parts store in packs of 4 for like .99$

just get a vacuum bleeder. works great.
also it will take a lot of pumping to get the fluid moving. i think when i was just doing pumping, it took like 10 minutes of just pumping to final get something on the front brake. the lines are to tiny and the MC doesn't move a lot of fluid each pump.

Since you have the lines on the bleeders, you can try putting each of those in a cup of brake fluid. This will allow you to pump the brake lever all you want without sucking air back in. It can even suck fluid back in....

heres how we do it, been doin harleys this way forever

take cover off resovoir
fill to top
leave bleeders closed
zip tie brake lever to handle bar
leave it like that over night
the trapped air will rise up and out.
i leave them overnight. been doin it this way for years
and has never failed me.
do same for rear brakes as well, cept you gotta tie down brake pedal somehow

another tip, take the bleeders out, make sure the holes in bleeders are clear, they get mud
and dirt packed up in there, you'd be suprised how bad. clean up or replace them
i always make sure they have the little rubber caps on them, you can get um
at the parts store in packs of 4 for like .99$

this thread is old but maybe it'll help the next man with an issue.. THIS method didnt work for me. theres alotta air in my lines and i cant get it out. i thought it was the MC but i replaced it. still an issue. im gonna try back bleeding it if this dont work idk what else to do!! FML. it all started when i was poping wheelies and using my rear brake to balance. somehow air got in and sank my pedal

let me know if back bleeding works. we modded a oil pump can with a hose and clamps on it, hold pedal/lever down and pump it till the pedal/lever pushes out. Don't hold it down to firm, allow it to push out when pumping fluid into it. remember to remove cap on the filler so fuild can push upwards

I bought a oil can pump from autozone a little while ago but im a bit skeptical about it. imight return it and go buy the actual brake vacuum pump at harbor frieght http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html. btw im doing the rear.same method?? and would that bleeder work as an injector? it doesnt say that. maybe its a suction? im trying to pump IN fluid from the bleeder right? with the cap off and pedal down only enough for it to slowly go back up as i pump?

backwards as in sucking air/fluid OUT of the bleeder? i thought injecting fluid from the bleeder was the way to go? idk all i know is my rear brake is dead and i cant bleed it for nothing. u thing that oil pump can will work? it was only 8 bucks compared to the brake bleeder for 25

push the fluid backwards till it comes out of the filler cap

hold pedal/lever down and pump it till the pedal/lever pushes out. Don't hold it down to firm, allow it to push out when pumping fluid into it. remember to remove cap on the filler so fuild can push upwards

I had trouble getting pressure to build in my fronts after I replaced the lines until I pushed the pistons back into the calipers. This forced most of the air back out through the MC. Then just bled them like normal.

yea i thought of that closing up the piston. unfortuantely the damn clamp is in my other car and its not here. but yea thats always better to do anyway. so ok i guess im gonna squeeze the piston in, get the brake pump from harbor freight bc theres NO pressure in the MC whats SO EVER so the line must be FULL of air when i changed the MC, then im open the brleeder, put the line in, pop the cap, hold the pedal dwon by hand, fill the pump with fluid (dot4) and pump away til the pedal goes up. is that all correct?