Blaster stopped running

arc323

Jan 10, 2014
Hey all,

I'm going to buy another Blaster (2001) today for $400. The guy I'm buying it form said he was riding it and it just stopped one day. He said it can start with starter fluid but dies. The guy im buying from is not mechanically inclined at all. He thinks it's the carb but does not know the first thing about it. I put an ad on Craigslist for Blast parts and this dude responded. Anyway, the bike looks to be in good shape (plastics solid, wheels and tires great, etc) so I figure worst case I have a solid parts bike but I really think I can get it running.

My question: Would the bike just dying be possibly a blown engine? If the engine were blown would the bike be able to start at all? I just don't want to buy a bike with a blown up engine for $400.

Facts: bike just cut off. Bike can start with starter fluid but will not run continuously. Bike is bone stock.

I know this is vague but any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

If the engine was blown it would not run! Do not use starting fluid on a 2 stroke! Learned that from this forum. It probably needs a good carb cleaning or adjustment. Maybe the reeds are shot also?

Reactions: arc323
The reeds would make it hard to start. It sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning and adjustment. But since you will have the carb off you should look at the reeds.

once you get it....look in on the reeds like quadman said....check compression, give it a leakdown test, clean carb, change plug, clean airfilter, put in fresh fuel.

That will tell you alot about that motor really fast.

Sounds like a problem with fuel.

Blocked petcock.

Needle and seat blockage possibly.

While you have the carb off do a leak test.

Refrain from using starter fluid!

Why are you not supposed to use starter fluid on two strokes? I had no idea that you weren't supposed to do that. What does it do to the engine? Thanks!

2 strokes rely upon a charge of fuel laced with oil to provide lubrication to the engine.

Starter fluid contains absolutly no oil.

A stock set up with oil injection can tolerate a little starter fluid as there is always oil injected when the engine revolves, but it is not recommended.

Ah I see. Thanks for that info as I had no idea that starter fluid was harmful. I guess it is common sense though... lol.

Anyway, Im gonna go pick this thing up soon. I gotta drive 2 hours to get it but hopefully it's worth it. I'll post pics when I get back.

Alright, so I haven't had time to get pics up yet. I have to work today. This thing has a fatty pipe with powercore 2 silencer. The main jet is 300. Is that a correct jet? Keep in mind I'm in Denver CO which is over a mile above sea level.

Also, I will be doing a leakdown today after work. The carb looked OK but I don't know if I've ever seen really bad carbs as I keep mine tip top. Tires are decent. I'm gonna have more questions once I put pics up. Have a great day guys!

Unless you have the air box lid off and an aftermarket filter and pre mix #300 seems too large to me.

Could the large jet be covering up an air leak?

Last edited:
image.jpg

The piston says 4471A. Is this in Google and it said its a 240cc?? Can anyone advise as the google search didn't reveal too much other than that Athena pistons makes 4471A.

Unless you have the air box lid off and an aftermarket filter and pre mix #300 seems too large to me.

Could the large jet be covering up an air leak?

I said earlier it was stock. It's actually premix, air box lid off, fmf fatty pipe and fmf powercore 2 silencer.

I'm still cleaning her up. I want to clean it before I go to work. Plug I need to inspect the bike in full.

The piston was interesting though. Can you tell me anything about it from the pic? Thanks!

Piston has a lot of carbon build up. possibly one jet too rich.

Do a leak test.

to check for big bore

stock size 66-68mm or ~2.6 inch

BBK 72-74mm or ~3 inch

A plug chop will confirm the correct jetting.

A mile high could call for a smaller main jet, at sea level a #290 would be my choice.