blaster build up project (PICS UP!)

Chevy1500z71

May 14, 2008
im new here and ill start out by telling you all why i joined the forum, i myself ride a z400, but a freind is paying me to build his blaster and i am going to build it as badass as i possibly can. so what i have on the way already is a set of +2+1 a-arms i got off of ebay for only 230$, and a set of 18" razr tires for the back. what i will be ordering soon is a 14 tooth front sprocket as well as a g-force axle, handlebars, grab bar, air filter, and reeds from rocky mountainatv. i am still looking for a deal on a pipe, and would really like an lrd but toomey looks like an easier pipe to find a deal on, im also getting it ported by a company on ebay and of course rejeting the carb.

so basicly i know there has to be tons of knowledge about blasters on here so please, feel free to give me any input on the parts i have planned, and dont be afraid to tell me if what i have in mind is a bad idea, let me know whats the best parts out there.

and of course i have a few questions-

is the boysen power reed worth 50$ when i can get the vittos 2 stage reed for 25$, my guess is no

a 14 tooth front sprocket seems like it would be good for just the stock 21" tires so should i go even taller with 18" tires and how would i do so? smaller back sprocket as well as bigger front?

can i get the stock carb bored a little bit by a machine shop? is this common becasue i know tis a big thing in the 2 stroke snowmobile world...

also, he wants it to have a black and white only color scheme so im having trouble with finding graphics

im very mechanically inclined and have worked on everything from putting a pipe on my atv to rebuilding the rearend on my truck and everything in between, im familiar with 2 strokes as i have a golf cart that i built with a rotax 503 2 stroke twin so im a huge 2 stroke fan and personally don't like my z400s wimpy 4 stroke power, im planning on putting a cr500 moter in it eventually. so i have no lack of technical knowledge, what i do need to know is what performers best and what is best quality from all you guys who have used all the parts and know whats good and whats not, and im sure you all have tons of ideas that id love to do on the blaster.

any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated, i will update the thread with pics of the buildup. also, feel free to offer me parts that you may be selling, you may have just what im looking for

Last edited:
if your looking for a toomey i have one 4 sale just make me an offer. i think most people on here like flotec for porting. i have always had my stuff done by eastcoastatv but it is twice the price of flotec. i'm not sure about boring the stock carb but it is only a 26mm so anything helps. if you aren't getting a reed cage just go with carbon fiber reeds from someone i run active reeds. 14 front is fine just get a 38 rear sprocket. also get the head decked. remove all the tors junk. you'll be limited by budget really. hope some of this helps and welcome. search the site you will find lots of good information

starting out with a well used bone stock 2003 or maybe 04 blaster
Photo0591.jpg

Photo0589.jpg

Photo0590.jpg

Photo0592.jpg

Photo0593.jpg

the tear down begins
Photo0594.jpg

is it just me or does this slide look kinda trashed? its smooth but it looks like there was some kind of coating thats worn off
Photo0595.jpg

Photo0597.jpg

Photo0598.jpg

Photo0599.jpg

i will keep it updated!

Last edited: