Blaster 200 idles and revs great in neutral but won’t rev out in gear.

Hue_Janeus

Sep 7, 2024
So I picked up a bone stock 2003 Yamaha blaster 200 a couple weeks back and have been working on it since. I’ve run into a road block. I have cleaned the carb and adjusted it to where it idles perfect and will rev great in neutral. Once I put it in gear it will accelerate but only to a certain point and then it’s like it hits a wall and can’t “get on the pipe” or hit the power band. It’s like that in every gear. First gear I can take off pull the front wheels up at start but then it won’t rev any higher. I’m stumped and would really appreciate some help.

So I picked up a bone stock 2003 Yamaha blaster 200 a couple weeks back and have been working on it since. I’ve run into a road block. I have cleaned the carb and adjusted it to where it idles perfect and will rev great in neutral. Once I put it in gear it will accelerate but only to a certain point and then it’s like it hits a wall and can’t “get on the pipe” or hit the power band. It’s like that in every gear. First gear I can take off pull the front wheels up at start but then it won’t rev any higher. I’m stumped and would really appreciate some help.
Well messed with jetting all day then decided to do a leak down test. Went to Home Depot and spent $18 on a gauge and some pvc pipe fittings. Then to the hardware store for a rubber plug. Got home and grabbed my bike pump and instantly found a huge leak from the stator side crank seal. Hopped online to overnight a crank seal set. Luckily I’ve been riding 2 stoke dirtbikes my whole life so I’m no stranger to crank seal replacements. I was just so thrown off since the bike wasn’t smoking and would start first kick even cold. I’ll be throwing in the new seal or seals tonight if the other side needs it which I doubt.

Ok so the engine is sealed and tight back to jetting…. Tried the full stock settings 230 main and was just running way to rich. I bought a pack of MIKUNI jets and went through several and now ended with a 200 main jet and 32.5 pilot and needle clip on 2 (stock setting?). And now I have full range of power. I can get into the power band easy and runs really good. I feel that it’s a tad rich but I don’t mind since I’d rather have more fuel and oil running through the motor than too little. Ooo and I’m running the a/f screw at 1.5 out. I think if I was better at jetting or had the space to do the plug chops I’d be able to make this thing sing but for now I’m happy and will go out and ride with my buddy’s and see how she performs.