any advantages to flipping a shock

blasterdude14

Apr 28, 2009
ohio
this is probly a really stupid question but is there any advantages to flipping a shock upside down? or is it the same?

I am sure you must be talking about the front shocks, there previously was a tread of some one's shocks that was upside down and thay did not now that, but if your shocks are up side down it makes them spring'e.

Please correct me if I am rong.

well i might try it when i get it running to see if i like it better who knows it might actually be better

No difference besides the weak part of the shock being "lower" inbetween the a-arms

Edit:

May be easier to smash a shock to nothing that way also..

I bet that the 'shock' part of the front coilovers (which is what they are, coil springs over a shock, all as one assembly) is made to run right side up. There is oil in there and valves that respond to movement.

I say this knowing that most automotive shocks are not supposed to be run upside down. Some higher end ones that are rebuildable, like bilsteins, FOX, FOA, etc can be run upside down or whatever because of the way that they are built, but regular old shocks don't work well upside down.

i may be wrong, probably am now that im thinking it out but ill put it out there to get torn apart by someone who really understands suspension. dirtbikes and high end mtbs have inverted forks because the oils are more immediately "available" when the fork starts its stroke. not exactly a shock in the terms of that veersus whats on the blaster but would the same theory apply?

i may be wrong, probably am now that im thinking it out but ill put it out there to get torn apart by someone who really understands suspension. dirtbikes and high end mtbs have inverted forks because the oils are more immediately "available" when the fork starts its stroke. not exactly a shock in the terms of that veersus whats on the blaster but would the same theory apply?
Yes in a way... but a fork has the springs inside the tube(s) with the oils on inside.