Adding another quad

DLStryker

Oct 18, 2012
I have a Blaster and two Banshees. I'm looking to add a 4 stroke to the fun. I don't have much experience in riding any of the 4 strokes available. So I will be purchasing off of others comments and advice. The bike will see mainly trail riding and occasional dune riding. What is the best 4 stroke in your opinion? My nephew has a 660 Raptor. It seems a little bulky to me. What's your thoughts on the Yamaha YFZ 450? My budget will probably be around $2K for engine mods.

Thanks

I had a 400ex, that had alot of engine work done to it before I bought it. 416 kit, hotcam, white bros exhaust,etc, etc. It was totally reliable, but hated rear axle bearings. I rode it mostly on trails, and Slatedumps. I could whip it around easily. I rode it, not it riding me. No problems at all running in the front of the pack with it. I actually might buy it back in the near future, My friend I sold it to told me today he is thinking about getting rid of it.

Thats my only experience with a 4 poke sport atv. But it was a good one, as I still miss it!

Fred

I have 2 660 Raptors and I wouldn't trade them for any other quad on the planet. They are wicked fast in stock form. ad something as simple as a jet kit and stage 1 hot cam, and youre beating any 450 quad that pulls up next to you. the suspension is so nice. to compare it to, a friend has full Works suspension on his Honda 450 (upwards of almost $5k in his suspension) and after riding his, its absolute trash imo. its setup for 160# rider (im very close to that) and it lands like a factory Honda crapola suspension. hate it.

in short, i'd take my 660R any day of the week. it always gets me home, and saying I have the first quad to have a 5 valve head, biggest motor of its time, best selling sprt atv in Yamaha history, well that's just a bonus.

Funny question. Why would Yamaha only add 40cc's to their next quad... the 700 Raptor. Was there so many tech advances, they thought 40cc's was within reason?? I know they came out with fuel injection, but at WOT, its all the same. Did they see average rider, who's at 1/4 to 1/2 thottle, a lot of the time, a better option.

Can you spell out to me the 660 to 700 upgrades??
Thank You
Dave

4Being as i love yamaha this is hard to say. The ltr 450 is a sweet ride. I rode my buddies and really liked it. However it did have plenty of mods suspension and motor wise but it was sweeet . I'm only comparing it to a trx 450r comparable mods and i would go with the ltr hands down. As far as a 400 I've only ridden the 400ex and wasn't impressed at all. In the trails my slightly modded blaster was waaay more suitable. It was a completely stock 400ex but i expected way more. My wifes polaris however does very will In the trails and never.seems to get stuck. Its a trail boss 330 auto. So far I'm pleased with it. Maybe because i haven't had to really do anything to it yet. :)

400ex reliable and good overall. yfz450 wide and low but fast. predator 500 great overall. That's just my opinion based on my experience. I still own my 400ex and predator. Don't get me wrong the yfz450 has its place as a sheer performer and on the track but its not for me riding in pa on trails with rocks and trees everywhere.