88' Blaster spark died

• Thread starter Walmart Security
  • Start date
W

Walmart Security

Title says it all. I have a 88' Blaster, just recently got the engine bored out to... 215cc i believe (im not really sure). Anyways.. here's my story....

One day i was riding it around the yard. I noticed that it started to sputter and the engine was acting like it wanted to shut down. So i rode it up to the driveway and let it cool off. After it did, i took the plug out and checked for a spark.. It was weak, but it was still there. So i changed the plug and checked the spark again. Same story, it was weak, but it was still sparking. So i put it in and it started up fine.

As i continued to ride, the engine had the same problem. So i decided to stop for the day. I rode it around the next day with the same problem for about 20 minutes and stopped. A week later i tried 2 start it, and it wouldnt start that well. I took the plug out and i kicked the engine over, it only sparked half of the time.. and the times that it did spark, it was really weak. Changed the plug again and it was still the same problem. I managed to get it running.. but it was running very poorly. I rode it around and it barely drove so i put it away. Another week later, i tried to start it.. and it wouldnt spark, and STILL doesnt to this day.

Anyone know what the problem could be? Ive already ordered a new CDI box but does anyone else have any idea of what else it could be? I have no TORS system btw.

Oh and sorry for the long post, i just wanted everyone to know what happened in detail.

hi i also have an 1988 blaster. what stator is the best to buy to replace the stock one?

Yea i got the CDI... it didnt fix it =/

So im guessing my next best bet is to replace the stator coil?

I forgot one important piece of information... whenever i kick over the engine, the light comes on... which means that the stator is supplying power.

Oh, and i talked to a buddy of mine... he used to repair bikes at the local shop. He said that since the stator is supplying power, the ignition coil is the culprit.

Does that sound about right?

Could be, but not neccesarily. Just b/c your getting the engine light to come on doesnt mean your getting enough charge to your ignition coil. Remember there is a lighting coil, and a charge coil in the stator assembly.

There is an easy way to test your igition coil. Ill post the procedure once I get home where my manual (clymer) is. If it passes (ignition coil) then it will be your charg coil in the stator

Alright, if you could post how to test it.. it'd be appreciated lol

Thanks

so to test you ignition coil.

make sure your ATV is cold. Idealy test at 68 deg. ferinhight
Use an Ohm meter

1 - park the ATV on level serface, set break
2 - remove fule tank
3 - disconect park plug lead
4 - disconnec the primary wires from the ignition coil
5 - remove the screws securing the ignition coil to the fame and remove it
6 - Inspect the ignition coil body for cracks, carbon or other visible signs of damage, check the primary and secondary wires for cracks or other damage.
7 - measure the coil primary resistance using an ohmmeter set at R x 1 measure the resistance between the ignition coil lead (usually orange) and the ground terminal on the ignition coil.
8 - measure the 2ndary resistance as follows.
a. remove the spark plug cap from the secondary wire
b. switch the ohmmeter to its R x 1000 scale
c. measure the resistance between the secondary lead (without spark plug cap) and the orange ignition coil lead
9 - Measure the spark plug cap resistance as follows
a. Switch the ohmmeter to its Rx 1000 scale
b. measure the resistance by placing the + lead in where the spark plug would go and touching the metal, and the - lead in the other end on metal.

specifications are as follows

Primary coil resistance
1988 - 2001 1.44-1.76 ohms
2002 0.18-0.28 ohms

secondary coil resistance
1988-2001 5.28 - 7.92 K ohms
2002 6.32 - 9.48 K ohms

spark plug cap resistance 5 K ohms

if your ignition coil does not meet thoes ranges its bad. If its fine test the rest of the coils that are on the sator by doing the following. (you dont have to take the stator out, just use the ends of the wires coming out of the stator cover.)

Use an ohm meter to test the leads as in the following descriptions.

Pulser coil or also called pickup coil (smalles, looks square)
wires test connections (white/red to black) resistance = 72-108ohms

charging coil medium sized one
wire test connections (black/red to black) resistance = 192-288 ohms

lighting coil large one
wire test connecions (yellow/red to black)resistance + 0.16-0.24 ohms

nice dude, thanks for the info there...

Now i just need to buy a multimeter =P

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread- the info has been very helpful.

My 95 Blaster just did the exact same thing to me. It ran fine (always started one kick with or without choke) until yesterday. I was cruising along and the engine just started to bog. I headed back to the shed just as it stalled out. Refused to restart which had me immediately check the plug for carbon build up. Plug looked clean, had gas in the tank.. Back to kicking. Well it turned out no spark. Checked the wires for a short- everything looked fine.

It's looking like the ignition coil. Based on 110Octane's excellent tips, mine has failed the recommended resistance.

It's not a big deal in the grander scheme of things but I have to say I've been pretty darn stressed about this!

Does anyone have a picture of where the stator coils come out. Im not sure where the stator even is.

Does anyone have a picture of where the stator coils come out. Im not sure where the stator even is.

The stator is under your flywheel (aka magneto, rotor) which is in your left side "Left crank case cover".

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandi...~392086~model_dept_name~BLASTER+/+YFS200M.asp

#1 is the cover to which Im refering to.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandi...~392086~model_dept_name~BLASTER+/+YFS200M.asp

#2 is the stator assembly.

the three coils on the stator are 3 of which I have refered to in the previous posts.

As well as the Ignition coil, which is attached to the spark plug cap.

Hey i just bought an 02 blaster that has been sitting for 2 years and I know at least one of the coils in the stator is bad because when i test them with the ohmmeter it goes to infinity like if i was just touching the two ends together for both the pulser coil and charging coil. Could these be the reason Im not getting any spark? also how do i fix them can i just buy the coils that are bad or do i need the whole assembly and wheres the best place online to order oem parts. Thanks for any help and also thnx for this thread it was really helpful in finding out my problem.

Hey i just bought an 02 blaster that has been sitting for 2 years and I know at least one of the coils in the stator is bad because when i test them with the ohmmeter it goes to infinity like if i was just touching the two ends together for both the pulser coil and charging coil. Could these be the reason Im not getting any spark? also how do i fix them can i just buy the coils that are bad or do i need the whole assembly and wheres the best place online to order oem parts. Thanks for any help and also thnx for this thread it was really helpful in finding out my problem.

No it doesnt necessarly mean that they are bad. Do you have the meter on the proper setting? If you do then yes they are bad, If you dont have it on the proper setting you will get the infinity reading.

and yes you can just by the individual coils, but you money will be better spent getting a ricky stator coil set up.
\