400ex rear shock

Jul 5, 2007
england
i have just started jumping and my rear blaster shock isn't up to the job so i want a better shock i don't have a lot of money right now so customs are a bit too much money for me i want to put a 400ex rear shock on but i think you have to cut the air box to fit in the resi whick i don't want to do as i ride in a lot of mud and water so could you mount the shock upside down so the resi is at the bottom and not the top B-)

also do you have to do anythink to it to fit or will it bolt straight on apart from the air box I:I

cheers James :)

the 400ex rear shock is the last conversion i would recommend because the mounting situation isnt that great, a tri-z 250 rear shock will bolt right on and it is remote reservoir with preload adjustment, then there is a warrior or raptor 350 rear shock which is another good one

yep but you have to drill out the holes for the other shocks and i have found out that you can heat up and bend the airbox so the resi with fit

Let us know how that works out...I'm very interested

The 400ex shock isnt hard to mount at all.. I rather have a newer rear shock on my quad instead of a 10-20 year old shock. Thats why i went with the 400ex shock instead for the TRI 250 rear shock.

You need to heat up the air box lid inlet and bend it up about 1\2 an inch.. You will need some 1\2" washers to take up the slack at both mounting points.. I made spacers..but I have acess to a machine shop and materials..Washers will work fine though. The only thing is the upper mouting bolt that holds the blaster shock in place is to large for the honda shock bearing collar. You can use the bolt that comes with the honda shock if included, but you will need to go to the hardware store and get a collar that will fit over the bolt being used and that will fit inside of the honda shock collar\or needle bearing..and thats it. If you have no mechanical ability dont do this.. Otherwise if you do you can probably handle this its fairly easy to do..

I mounted mine but I have not rode it yet ..but the shock does not bottom when i sit on the quad and jump around on it.. So i asume it will be a huge difference of the stock shock that bottomed out so easily.. BTW i only payed 60 shipped for the shock off of an 04 ex..

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about it..but its already done..Maybe this week i will take some pictures to give you an Idea.. I acutally made spacers\bushings out of a sheet of delron for the mounting point tonite..Im going riding tomorrow so Ill let you know how she rides... Im stoked..My friend who weights 200lbs sat on my quad and jumped and the 400ex shock still didnt bottom out. ( im 140lbs so she def isnt gonna bottom out on me...and its set on the softest setting and the coilover is down all the way.. Tomorrow we see how she rides..

the shock rides so much better than the stock blaster shock, Now I need some fronts..

has anyone ever thought getting a sleeve welder between the tabs, something a like a 1/4 wall piece or maybe even slightly tapered in the center to make it stronger instead of just a sh*t -pile of washers?

has anyone ever thought getting a sleeve welder between the tabs, something a like a 1/4 wall piece or maybe even slightly tapered in the center to make it stronger instead of just a sh*t -pile of washers?

I used a solid piece of aluminum, drilled it out to fit the lower pin..and put it inbetween the 2 tabs..and i used to heavy duty ruber sleeves for the outter part..1 on each side, And I also fabbed some delron bushing\ spacers for the upper section..and they are doing the job just fine..Ill snap some pics later to show you guys..