2001 Blaster we picked up

dirtysquared

DirtyDirty
Jun 30, 2013
South Western PA
My buddy Jeff from work and I picked up this 2001 for $350 today. Its a roller, but the kid took the top end out. The good: it has maier front plastics, The bottom end seems OK so far, Hot rod's crank, Works Shocks, Nice front bumper, and rear grab bar, Aluminum wheels with Razrs. DG pipe, and Pro circuit Silencer. The cylinder looks like it is almost new, just on long enough to stop running.

The head has a bunch of gouges in it. I have no Idea how this happend other than something slamming around in it.

How it looks after I had at it for an hour!!!

Did anyone think I was going to leave those works shocks on it? ;)

We are planning on putting the extra running motor we have in this and selling it. The Motor that I'm pulling out of this is going to get redone, and If Jeff ever finds a blaster he likes enough to keep, we will put it in there.

It should clean up well, The frame is solid, and will make a good blaster for someone.
We plan on hitting it hard tomorrow after work. I'll keep updating it as it goes.

Fred

poor blaster, raped and pillaged by fred :)
wait till you feel the difference real shocks make on your bike,
they look nice and clean

Thanks guys. AWK I did clean them up some in the move to my Blue blaster. All bushings were tight in them. I think I might take a ride this weekend. Its supposed to be semi-decent weather and I really want to feel those Shocks. Anyone know what kind of works they are? I'm thinking they are dual rate steelers ?? They have the schrader valve for the rezzies on them, but I have no idea. Anyone else have an idea on the pinging mark on that head also? I need to run the numbers on the crank. Im not sure if its a stock stroke or a +3,+4.or something. That Kid didnt know either.
If it is a +3 or +4, and the head didn't have a spacer plate on it, Could that have lead to this motors quick death on him? Sorry guys, I've only had stock cranks my whole life.

yeah those are the dual rate steelers.... i have a set on mine, with PC'ed springs black and gunmetal color they look nice and they ride so much better

Making some Progress. We put in the Running Motor that we had. I finally did a leakdown test on it. It Checked out 8 psi for 10 minutes. We changed the coil, The Kill switch and put a different key ignition switch on it. Jeff took the pipe and silencer home to clean up tomorrow. He is doing good on this build. He is only 20, and a fast learner and damn hard worker. Tomorrow we are going to change the front hubs and, put the exhaust on. If we still feel like it I'm going to rip into the carb tomorrow too and see whats going on in there. Here are a few pics of tonights doings.

This is what kind of worker this kid is. We were fixing a leak on a 6" Cast Iron line......the pic speaks for itself. Not afraid to jump into anything and try it.

I changed out the front ends today. I put a good set of A-arms, tie rods, spindles, and hubs on. The drum brakes are good as well. I went into the rear cable brake, and un-seized it. It actually works now. I swapped Rims and tires,and Bumpers. Jeff is painting the pipe today, and tomorrow We are cleaning the fenders. I went into the carb today also. I found a 230 main. I changed it out with a 280 to start. So far so good. I'm hoping I can have this thing running by mid week, but the holiday and playing Santa Claus will slow us down some.

Well its all done and back together. We ended up not cleaning up the plastics or re-painting them. My one friend stopped over this after noon, and asked what we were doing with this quad. Told him we were planning on selling it. He is going to take it for $300 + a Makita Quick Cut saw. He said he isn't worried about what it looks like cause he is planning on riding it and getting it muddy! He got a good Deal, and we made out on it too. I need to Mix up some fresh gas for this, and get some gear oil in the tranny. Im going to try to take it outside and fire it up tomorrow if it warms up at all.