12 Y/o Boy killed on local track

Missy

Mar 8, 2009
Michigan
There was a young boy killed this past weekend in our county. The people who bought it turned it into a dirtbike track with some pretty HUGE ass jumps. Evidently the boy was on a 125cc (I think) dirtbike when he came over a jump and dumped it. He was picking it up when a 19yo girl took the jump on her 250 and landed on him. He was pronounced dead on the scene. The track is "ride at your own risk" BUT they charge a mandatory $20 donation at the gate. The newspaper article stated there were an average of 40-50 people on the track on a nice weekend. Now here's the part that gets me. There are no classes, no age groups and no flaggers.... My question is can you really have a "ride at your own risk" track on private land and still charge admission??? Are these people at fault for this kids death??

Yea i definitely see what ur saying. I feel really bad 4 that kids family. I think that its ok to charge admission to make a profit for any sort of event that u have on ur own private property if u have a permit to do so. Im not really sure tho

yes in most states you can have a ride at your own risk track, and still charge for admittance on the property.

use of the track is "ride at your own risk" not admission to get to the track. at least that is how we do it here at our private track. although we do not allow anyone under age 18 without a parent or supervising adult signing a waiver of ride at your own risk.

we had our attorney write up the waiver, and advise before we opened the track to the public.

a minor cannot enter into a contractual agreement, and "ride at your own risk" is an "implied" oral contractual agreement.
being that children are not considered legally capable to decide to ride at their own risk without a parents consent the track owners may be libel for damages.
unless it is expressly posted "ride at your own risk" and the parents were in attendance and allowed the child to ride.
then the parents would be responsible for making that judgement call.

yes they can have a track on private land, and charge the track here is that way, 15 a day for quads and 20 for dirt bikes, its run sorta by the dnr/ fond du lac county off highway vehicle assosiation, all money is 'donation's for the on site electric, and water, and porto potty's, and track maintanance,
all workers are volenteers... lemme see if i can find the web site before i hit post reply....................... this is right from there site...

NO INCREASE IN FEES FOR 2008!!!! There is only a daily riding fee this year. ATV daily fee is $15.00 and the MOTORCYCLE daily fee is $20.00. This change is due to the fact that the DNR ATV sticker fee is what helped build the Fond du Lac ATV Park into what it is today. The motorcycles need to donate an extra $5.00 per day to help with the DNR funds to support the park. The DAILY riding fee is a single day use charge per day, per rider. We are open for the limited dates and possibly a few more depending on the

We will update the answering machine with any DAILY UPDATES OR WEATHER RELATED UPDATES. The gate will be locked/closed during maintenance. We will try to have maintenance dates posted in advance.

We hold two meetings a year, one in spring and one in the fall. Please review ALL the rules. Be safe. Ride at your own risk! Have respect for yourself and other riders!

Thanks for your help and support over the past years. Please remember that we are volunteers! Any questions or comments, please contact Dennis or Holly Hamburgur at serenity@dotnet.com or 920-269-4253. (This is our home number.)

That is terrible. So young...

I doubt a 12 yr old kid has a job to cover the $20 it cost him to ride. The parents had to know where he was and what he was up to...

Its a shame that happened but its the risk we all take doing the sport we do. I've seen people get f*cked up real bad. No one is at fault here. Its was an accident.It happens. I do feel bad for the family though. I bet they are having a rough time dealing with it.