02 blaster mods need HELP

Hatekrimes

Mar 6, 2017
Hey guys so i my stock carb was messing up needs a rebuild. So my buddy had a basically brand yz 85 carb and it fit right on there its actually a 28mm. So i switched it over my jet wouldnt fit in there its made firrently but my pilot jet did. Anyway both the main jets are the same sized wholr but they have diffrent numbers, im guessing because it was a dirt bike carb. So we have been tuning it and it seems way too rich it kept sputtering at higher rps and couldnt get the power band to ever kick in after 20 mins of asjustment we had a idea to pull the air box lid off. Boy does she run now! Its running amazing hits the powerband has alot more power. We did some more tuning on the airscrew but the filter i bought looks like a k&n filter and fits and seals great. But idk im jus worried maybe its running lean and im scared i might blow it up... i guess ima try a plug chop tomorrow but what do you guys think? So i went up 2mm on carb and i had to take the airbox lid off for it too run right and ive checked foe air leaks with carb cleaner and everything checks out fine. No other mods that i know of besides the 28mm yz85 carb i put on it and taking the airbox lid off today. So what do u think?

Ive also unhooked the oil pump and im premixing 32:1 with lucas oil. Waiting on my clutch cover gasket before i can install my oil pump delete kit i got in the mail already.

Plug chops or fry it !
Yeah its weird the plug test i did was a nice cardboard brown... plus i ride some trails for about 3 hours and she did great!! Kept up with my buddys on dirtbikes. I tell ya thst bigger carb eith no air box lid and a k&n style filter really woke it up... jus need a exhaust and some better tires now. Lol im still running the original baloon tires on the back and there about slick! Didnt stop it from climbing big hills with ez tho!

You're going to need to re-jet the carb before you ride it again or it will blow . The stock yz85 jetting isn't good for a blaster . You're going to need a Keihin JJH needle...start at the third slot . It will probably like the 2nd from the top better . Get some new Keihin main and pilot jets...a few mains like 140-155 and a 45-48 pilot . I'll say it again Keihin jets and needles :) Do some proper plug chops to confirm .

Reactions: dirtysquared
Yeah
You're going to need to re-jet the carb before you ride it again or it will blow . The stock yz85 jetting isn't good for a blaster . You're going to need a Keihin JJH needle...start at the third slot . It will probably like the 2nd from the top better . Get some new Keihin main and pilot jets...a few mains like 140-155 and a 45-48 pilot . I'll say it again Keihin jets and needles :) Do some proper plug chops to confirm .
I Think your right buddy i got it hot today put a new plug in and ran it down the road and its badically white!!! But its a mikuni carb 28mm so will those jets your talking about work?? And i had to use the dirtbike throttle cable so idk what needle is in it. The stock jetting is dame size as blaster stock i jus put my blaster pilot in but the main jet was to big to screw down in there

Carb

Attachments

• 20170321_152139.jpg
    20170321_152139.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 160
Must be an old carb...the yz85's have a 28mm Keihin . Put the stock blaster pilot in to start . And start with a 250-260 main if you don't have a pipe . That should be safe to do some plug chops . The needle might give you problems . I doubt its blaster friendly .

Its weird because the main jet that came with the carb says 130 something and its the same size as my stock 230 blaster main jet but diffrent #??? Is it because its a dirtbike??? And what jet should i go with? Should i go about 10 up on numbers like if its a 130 then get a 140??

Last edited:
H
Must be an old carb...the yz85's have a 28mm Keihin . Put the stock blaster pilot in to start . And start with a 250-260 main if you don't have a pipe . That should be safe to do some plug chops . The needle might give you problems . I doubt its blaster friendly .
Ow would the needle be so diffrent??? Arnt they all just needles with clips u can adjust?? I lowrred clip all the way down to make it richer but it made it way too rich fouled my plugs plus would barely idle lol

So should i use the needle out of the blaster in it?? I dont see what the diffrences are

Needle tapers are different sizes . The carb you have isn't for a blaster but you should be able to get it jetted right . You might be able to use the blaster needle . It might be easier for you to just get a good used blaster carb. to limit your jetting headaches