Year motor differences

freeriders98

Jun 28, 2014
So I'm new to blasters. Just picked one up for my wife for $180. Needs some love and a new piston. Compression is only 60psi. I don't have a title or any real info on the bike. I checked online before I got it and saw they went disc brakes in 03. So I figured that would be an easy identifier to give me a year...well it has disc brakes. But after I got it home and started researching more it has the.older plastics on it. Tried to find the VIN and can't. Doesn't look like it was filled off or anything. Frame has been painted a couple times. I sanded down to bear metal where it should be. Was using 200grit paper so I don't think I took it off. But anyways looked up the motor number and I found one forum that said if you count backwards to the 8th position then that is your 10th did get VIN identifier. If that's the case then I have an 88 Blaster :)

Ok so long winded explanation...but since I'm not sure on the year...what's the motor differences? Will a piston from any years fit? If the cylinder is good, do I just go with a stock piston or should I bore it a size up with each new piston? And these cylinders aren't plated correct?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to getting to know you all better and I'm sure more question will come up.

Your best bet is to have the cylinder measured to see if its still in specs, buy the appropriate piston, rings, gaskets etc. Its always a good idea too check the crank for excessive play and wear also.

Count the wires comeing out if the stator. If It has 5 wires going out its 03+. If only 4, its 88-02.
Take a few pics and put them up for us, we can give you better answers with them.

Welcome to the site too!

Your best bet is to have the cylinder measured to see if its still in specs, buy the appropriate piston, rings, gaskets etc. Its always a good idea too check the crank for excessive play and wear also.

Count the wires comeing out if the stator. If It has 5 wires going out its 03+. If only 4, its 88-02.
Take a few pics and put them up for us, we can give you better answers with them.

Welcome to the site too!
Awesome!! Good info thanks. I'll get some pics up!

Do these cylinders require a playing after they are bored out?
I feel you mean "plating", the answer is no, but they do need honing.

If your compression was as low as 60psi, I would fear that a bore, hone and new oversized piston would be in order.

It may pay for you to read up on leak testing.

year should not matter cylinder/piston wise,stator and other stuff yes 88-02 4 wire stators 03-06 5 wires stators.

year calculater pic plus ex1 1 1.jpg