year model +...

TX_twink

May 11, 2014
Magnolia, Texas
OK guys I just agreed to work on a buddies blaster that's been sitting for a couple years. First noob question, does it need a key? If so i can't see an ignition. Second, how do I tell what year it is?
I'm currently trying to figure out why it has no spark. Thank you in advance!

Key needed: no

quick year guide. look at the front end. is the head light in the hood, or above it?

in the hood = 03-06 years
above hood = 88-02 years

that is the easiest way to tell, all 88-02 blasters are identical with exception to 88/89 not having heel guards
03-06 are all the same.

all we need to know to help you is which model you have, the new or old

year calculater pic plus ex1 1 1.jpg

No key needed but if there are wires the have to not connected, must be open.

No spark could be a bad plug, bad stator winding or CDI.

03 and newer there should be a key on the right side in the hood. 03 and earlier the key would be in the center of the bars. Keep a look out also for a hidden key/ ignition (under/ around seat area ??) If and when you find them you can just disconnect them.. Make sure your grounds are good as well.

Thanks guys! I'll look at that vin# when I get home. The headlight is above the plastic so sounds like old style.
I'm also in the process of removing the left side cover but stripped out two of the screws...

If the "key hole" was removed and wires are still there the yellow and black connectors need to be plugged into each other, when i forget my key i just unplug those two wires from my ignition than into each other and wala

The vin has a "J" in the 10th spot so looks like an '88. Looks unmolested and even appears to be sporting all original tires! Tomorrow I'm taking it to work to remove the final two Philips screws holding the side cover on. Guessing the electrical gremlins are in there.

If the "key hole" was removed and wires are still there the yellow and black connectors need to be plugged into each other, when i forget my key i just unplug those two wires from my ignition than into each other and wala
This way will not work with a Blaster, connecting the wires kills the ignition, the key switch opens to go into the start mode.

A hammer operated impact screwdriver may work on them stubborn screws, if not ask Speedy how to operate the cold chisel technique.

Its how i start ALL my blasters when im at my shop n forget my keys, last year i pulled all wires off, which you would think is open but it would not run at all no spark, so i then plugged black into yellow closing the circiut i guess and boom first kick fired up so now its how i always start them when i forget key, ill make a video of me doing it and post it so you guys can see and use it as a helpful guide

Am I loosing my marbles or failing to read a diagram.

11 is the main switch.

The on position is open circuit!

I don't know how your wiring is but there is no yellow wire in the ignition circuit, it belongs to the headlight!

image.jpg

What's the difference between "RUN" and "ON"? LOL Obviously something lost in translation. Anyway, yes, open circuit on both switches to run.

I can't wait to see this video. LOL.

I do know that some of my marbles are still rolling around aimlessly after my stroke, but I do remember unplugging the key switch to start our Blaster when I mislaid the key.

If you use carpet, take notice of which way the pile is, a woodruff key will bounce in the direction of the pile, sometimes into the dirt never to be found again!