Yeah im one of those..... noob

CPT Del Sol

Oct 25, 2011
Please mods, move my thread if I am in the wrong section.

Hey guys!! I just repo'd my 2004 Blaster from my moms husband and it needs work. I can go on and on about honda motors but can't even tell you what the difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke is.

I put maybe 15 hours on this motor but I left for military purposes then my step pops let the world use it and now parts are broken and it doesn't ride the same. Some problems;
-oil tank and rear grab bar is trashed from someone trying to wheelie
-tires are done
-handle bars are bent
-leaking gas from switch under tank
-shakes bad and pulls to the right when full throttle
-someone lost the key so they rigged it to work without one
- chokes after forth gear at full throttle
-smokes really bad

Before it couldn't even ride without choking, so I printed out a diy I found on this site and cleaned my carb. Then it stayed on and I could ride it. With more info I found on this site I changed the gear fluid and premixed 30/1 but it smokes like crazy.

I just want to get it to where it was when I use to ride it. My plans are simple, I want to be able to keep up or even beat my cousins banshee lol I know big goals right? I use to be able to launch on banshees but obviously they will just crush my top end. I want to get the toomey pipes and kn air filter but on a stock motor, what else can I do to get some extra ponnies?

I'm getting married dec 3 of this year and after my wedding, I got the ok to set a budget at 1500. With this budget, what should I do? I'm all ears and thankful for any advice. Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new but we all were at one time.

Thanks!!

-oil tank and rear grab bar is trashed from someone trying to wheelie
Unhook the oil tank (you will find many threads on this in the search) and premix 32-1 gas -oil, you need an oil block off kit IMO. Make sure that if your rear grab bar is bent your rear frame rails are not bent as well.

-tires are done
Speaks for itself, buy some new ones

-handle bars are bent
See above ... lol

-leaking gas from switch under tank
Switch is called a petcock, you can buy a rebuild kit for it, or just buy a new used one, both can be found farely cheap on ebay

-shakes bad and pulls to the right when full throttle
this could be many things or a combination of things, first to check would be for bent shock/a-arm/tie-rod, bent frame, joints etc.
-someone lost the key so they rigged it to work without one

-chokes after forth gear at full throttle
this sounds like a jetting or fuel issue since you are smoking, but first you will ant to run a leakdown and compression test to start ruling out the reasons it's smoking

-smokes really bad
see above, also check for leaks around cylinder, at the head (top) and where it meets the case, exhaust flange etc.

Before it couldn't even ride without choking, so I printed out a diy I found on this site and cleaned my carb. Then it stayed on and I could ride it. With more info I found on this site I changed the gear fluid and premixed 30/1 but it smokes like crazy.

I asked the previous question regarding pre-mixing with the oil tank still connected because this would cause smoking and chocking from too much oil

I'm getting married dec 3 of this year and after my wedding, I got the ok to set a budget at 1500. With this budget, what should I do? I'm all ears and thankful for any advice. Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new but we all were at one time.

1500 - get your motor running right before spending anything, then tires and handlebars it sounds from the list above

Hope this helps you some...

Wow great break down!! Thank you so much!! Ill do a compression check soon, anything over 120 is good right?

I used castrol 10w 30 oil premixed with 91 gas. Can that cause the smoking issue?

"I used castrol 10w 30 oil premixed with 91 gas. Can that cause the smoking issue?" Gee i would hate to be following you.

Not a good choice of oil, Castrol 10W40 oil in Australia is 4 stroke crankcase oil. Is it not the same in US?

You need a 2 stroke oil designed for air cooled motorcycles!

"I used castrol 10w 30 oil premixed with 91 gas. Can that cause the smoking issue?"

Not a good choice of oil, Castrol 10W40 oil in Australia is 4 stroke crankcase oil. Is it not the same in US?

You need a 2 stroke oil designed for air cooled motorcycles!

That's what the step pops told me to use... hence why my quad has slowly went down the drain. I can use any 2 stroke oil?

Any semi synthetic or synthetic oil will do but dont use the cheaper brands from the Walmart type stores.

The oil needs to be 2 stroke suitable for air cooled motorcycle engines. Lawnmower, chainsaw and outboard oil is not suitable.

Mix at 32:1 and provided that no damage has occurred everything should be rosy.

Do not use the cheaper brands as sold at Walmart type stores, .

Do not use oil designed for lawnmowers, chainsaws or outboards.

Mix any good 2 stroke oil at 32:1 , as long as it is designed for air cooled motorcycle engines.

Sorry for the double post but the satellite is playing up!

Many years ago, and I am talking about times when exhaust pipes came straight of the head for 12 inches with no silencer. (Yes I am that old!) These times before expansion chambers were even dreamed of, Castrol 30 grade was the choice of many 2 strokers who could not afford Castrol R.
The oil was mixed and the crap was shaken out of the tank every time you started the bike to get the oil back into suspension, if you didn't shake the bike the thing would smoke like a chimney.

Thank goodness times have changed, modern oils are a dream to use..

Running the 10W40 in the mix should not have done much damage if any other than putting some heavy deposits in the ports and pipe.
A good clean should remove these!

Last edited:
whoa....... this thing was run with 10w 30 for some period and is still alive ????

my buddy tried that, out of lack of knowledge, with lowes weedeaters, and couldnt figure out why they kept frying after one session, lowes kept replacing them free too

maxima super m for me, mixed 32:1

heres some other troubleshooting/maintenence i wrote up once..............
http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/my-general-troubleshooting-maintenance-30347/