yamaha blaster 200cc

kyle naerebout

Apr 22, 2015
I put my carburetor back on my blaster and went to start it. It started but right when it would start the rpms would go through the roof!!! anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

you most likely have an air leak. first check to make sure the clamps on the carb are tight and the bolts that hold the rubber boot that the carb goes into. also look at the boot for cracks. A 2 stroke engine needs to be airtight to run right...sucking in air causes a lean condition and could blow your motor up. I would suggest to buy a leak tester and test it before you run it again...also make sure the carb is getting enough gas that could cause the high revs

Last edited:
not a whole lot of info about it:)
if it ran fine....until you took it off then...
you probably did not put the throttle slide in properly?
there is a notch on carb and notch on slide that half to align up
if not the slide will not sit down where it is supposed to?
you can look at it through intake side installed/or take it off
and see if it is aligned up:)

or you messed up the airscrew/idle setting.
or of course airleak...

CARB SLIDE ALIGN 1.jpg

Last edited:
you most likely have an air leak. first check to make sure the clamps on the carb are tight and the bolts that hold the rubber boot that the carb goes into. also look at the boot for cracks. A 2 stroke engine needs to be airtight to run right...sucking in air causes a lean condition and could blow your motor up. I would suggest to buy a leak tester and test it before you run it again...also make sure the carb is getting enough gas that could cause the high revs
it didnt run before we took it off

the place where you would shut the gas off at it leaks fuel it doesn't stop the gas from coming through. Any ideas what we could do to fix it or if that could be the problem.

Leaky petcock won't cause runaway revs. Cleaning it may fix leak, or may need new O-ring.

If throttle slide is returning to bottom of carb (slight gap), then it would be dirty carb, improper float level, leaking gasket on slide cap, wacked out jetting (unlikely), or the dreaded air leak.

WARNING !!!
If it runs away and the switch won't stop the engine, hold brakes , shift into gear (2nd is best), realease clutch to stall engine.

If you soil your shorts, don't worry. Happens to everybody who experiences Auto-ignition 2s runaway.