Will an 2-stroke run without exhaust?

Foolio

Feb 6, 2010
Plymouth, Indiana
Does anyone know if a 2-stroke would run without exhaust on it? I know it has alot to do with how well it runs, but don't know if during a rebuild, firing it up before completely together is possible......

dont do it, that motor depends on scavenging exhaust gases from the expansion chamber to run

my friend was cutting some wood with a chain saw when the exhaust fell off and OMG that thing was soo loud it was just ear peirsing...
it will be fine to see if the motor will run or not just dont do it for long youll prolly end up with some unburned fuel and oil coming out of the exhaust

yes it will run....yeah don't do it ...it only takes 3 minutes to install the exhuast system..like said above you could get nasties in throught the exhuast opening

Thanks for the info. I will be patient then and wait until I have the Blaster all buttoned up before I try to start it. I did try to start my other project, a CR 125, last night for the first time since I got it and did the top end. It had spark and gas, but wouldn't fire...thought maybe because exhaust not being on. Put it on and still no go. Went through all the electrical measuring ohms and put it back together. Ends up it was just cold blooded and need to hold the throttle wide open to get it to fire up.

Thanks for the info. I will be patient then and wait until I have the Blaster all buttoned up before I try to start it. I did try to start my other project, a CR 125, last night for the first time since I got it and did the top end. It had spark and gas, but wouldn't fire...thought maybe because exhaust not being on. Put it on and still no go. Went through all the electrical measuring ohms and put it back together. Ends up it was just cold blooded and need to hold the throttle wide open to get it to fire up.

nope not cold blooded dude ...you flooded it and holding the throttle wide opened cleared it enough to start

some times an indication of float level to high..did you have fuel pissing on the floor?

Could also be that when you took it apart it was warm out and was jetted for that temp, but now it's colder so it needs more fuel. IF you jet it properly for the outside temp you should be able to start it no problem. If it's hard to start and the top end is fresh and no leaks and a good plug, then your jetting may be off.

it wasn't overflowing gas when I was having a hard time starting it. now, it'll start on first kick, but won't idle without holding throttle up a little. Wierd thing, the idle adj and fuel/air screw won't fix that. probably tear carb down again. I did measure the float last time and it was right. maybe a bad oring or something. And I think the jets could be lean. they are stock, but the cylinder has 1.5mm bore, a full pro circuit exhaust with carbon fiber reeds. I have some things to check out here....

it wasn't overflowing gas when I was having a hard time starting it. now, it'll start on first kick, but won't idle without holding throttle up a little. Wierd thing, the idle adj and fuel/air screw won't fix that. probably tear carb down again. I did measure the float last time and it was right. maybe a bad oring or something. And I think the jets could be lean. they are stock, but the cylinder has 1.5mm bore, a full pro circuit exhaust with carbon fiber reeds. I have some things to check out here....

wow its way lean then re jet it

With the Cr, I pulled the reeds and saw a gap, so flipped them. Changed carb jets from stock 60/160 to 70/178. Got it to start and was still running without idling and very smokey with more throttle. I decided to try to run it around the block and made it half way before fowling plug. I'm shopping for a cdi and will start with that since everything else electrical checks out and the spark seems to be weak and not consistent from kick to kick.

On another note, tired of waiting for the exhaust for the Blaster and put some gas in it. 3 kicks and it runs nice. I drove to end of driveway and back, then parked it. Definately have the itch to drive it and bought a set of 20" Bandits to throw on the rear.