wider a arms??

mlrblaster

Dec 16, 2011
Smyrna Tn
I've got an 04 Blaster that has stock suspension on the front and a 400 ex shock on the rear. I've been out riding with my buddies on the remnants of what used to be our local MX track. They are riding 400ex's that have been widened and the motors tweaked on. As far as the motor goes I have plenty of power with the work Ken O'Connor has done to it. The trouble that I am having is my Blaster is so short and narrow that even with me hanging off the sides in the turns it still wants to tip. One of my buddies suggested selling and getting something else. I just can't swallow going 4 stroke. I've looked on ebay for wider a arms and also shocks for the front. I've seen +3 arms and also a kit that was either +4.5 or +6 brackets that use the factory a arms. Not sure what is the best solution.

I'm open to all suggestions.

Reactions: Awk08
There is tons of info on this subject. Basically the best thing to do would be come up with a budget and we can steer you in the right direction.

I run ASR +3+1 Standard travel A-arms, and a +3 swingarm. Works dual rates in the front.

That setup will set you back a good bit, Look for some used works shocks, and Figure out what you want to spend on arms, and a swinger. It's always your decisions what you want to run, just have to figure out how much you want to spend on stuff.

shocks would help immensely by giving a little more on corners.

but banshee rear shock and ASR +3 +1 a-arms would be ideal if you got the cash

I got used Works shocks and they helped a lot. Handling got better and was able to go faster in and out of turns. I also have a banshee axle. Next on my list is ASR arms.

I have not really thought of how much my budget is going to be. I did not think that doing this was going to be cheap. I'll probably get things a piece at a time to spread it out. When you decided to go with +3+1, what made you go with standard travel? Not to pry, what would be a ball park on getting this done if I can find some used front shocks and used or new a arms. Are there any modifications needed to use a Banshee axle?

The only modifications needed for the banshee axle is an banshee or warrior brake hub. Unless you have an 03-06 blaster than your brake hub will work and just need an axle. If you have an 88-02 then you will need to modify the caliper and bolts a bit to get it to fit. A-arms are the best option. Some go long travel but the majority go standard travel. I run both setups and like them both. When you go long travel it gets even pricier quickly. Some used works front shocks will help immensely. I would say you are going to spend $300 on a-arms, $150-200 for front shocks, $75-100 on a banshee axle and brake hub. Then you could always add more for a nice works rear shock. You stated you have an 04 blaster so you may need longer hydraulic lines in the front also.

I have not really thought of how much my budget is going to be. I did not think that doing this was going to be cheap. I'll probably get things a piece at a time to spread it out. When you decided to go with +3+1, what made you go with standard travel? Not to pry, what would be a ball park on getting this done if I can find some used front shocks and used or new a arms. Are there any modifications needed to use a Banshee axle?

I ended up going with the Standard travel ones since I already had some Works front shocks. As Dually said, you'll probably need to change the Brake lines as well if you get +3+1's. I ended up buying the entire package deal off ASR that included arms, tie rods and ends, Brake lines, and a bad set of Heims. Lol It was $525 shipped.

It's pricey, but worth it to get what you want. Save up and do a little at a time, that way the bite isn't so big.

I went with ASR +3+1 standard travel myself, 1 bc i had standard travel works shocks at the time, 2 standard travel shocks are easier/cheaper to come by, and 3 the price. I personally do trail riding so IMO standard with great shocks are great. If i was going to compete mx id prolly want long travel. but when you look at the big picture depending on budget anything is better than stock arms or even stock length. If you get a heim joint a arm build a dust boot cover for the joints, alot of us have been having some dirt damage issues.

Long travel a-arms are $30 more on their website - arms at bottom
http://www.amstarmanufacturing.com/BlasterParts.html

Where finding long travel shocks for the blaster is hard, finding some 450r or other type of quads with 16-17" shocks is easier
even if you find some 18" shocks, if they are cheap enough you can buy the CFM lowering kit that would make it sit stock height (only brand that says to jump them)

If i had long travel when i got mine, i would have bought some stage 3 elkas from craigslist for $400 (or offer a little less)

check craigslist and egay for some good deals on them