Why did it melt the piston??

Tanner Losee

Jan 10, 2018
Hudson Valley New York
So i recently bought a blaster knowing it was blown up. The Guy said he was riding it around in the snow and after he shut it off it never restarted. i tore the top end off and found a very melted piston on the exhaust side. i NEED TO KNOW WHY it melted. i took the carb off to check the jets and there is no number on the main. At the time he was using the oil injection but the oil i took out was very thick like syrup. i run Amsoil in my other bikes and its not as thick as this oil. i didnt do a leak down test because it was blown at the time. i am doing the oil injection block off kit and having cylinder redone .050 over. What jet should i run? i will have the stock intake on it except the lid (previous owner only had a air filter on the carb). My exhaust is completley stock. i think i will start off with a 250 jet. Why could this piston melt. Also the spark plug is covered in melted piston so i cant see the color under it.

it has happened to a'lot of people when they ride in the snow.Hence avoid it if you can or make sure your setup is correct.
the engine is pinned out sitting still and they don't re-jet for the colder temps.
the oil injection needs 2 stroke oil suitable for injection...NOT ALL 2 STROKE OIL IS INJECTABLEo_O
also forged piston need more warm up time then a cast piston:)

A picture of the piston and cylinder would help diagnose the problem. Obviously it got to hot :mad:

Little tip for you or less experienced owners, if you need to take the top end apart due to mechanical malfunction, do a leak down test first. Wouldn't hurt to power wash it.

Wrong jetting , air leak, wrong octane gas, wrong plug, to much ignition advance, plugged carb, float level.

A picture of the piston and cylinder would help diagnose the problem. Obviously it got to hot :mad:

Little tip for you or less experienced owners, if you need to take the top end apart due to mechanical malfunction, do a leak down test first. Wouldn't hurt to power wash it.

Wrong jetting , air leak, wrong octane gas, wrong plug, to much ignition advance, plugged carb, float level.
it has happened to a'lot of people when they ride in the snow.Hence avoid it if you can or make sure your setup is correct.
the engine is pinned out sitting still and they don't re-jet for the colder temps.
the oil injection needs 2 stroke oil suitable for injection...NOT ALL 2 STROKE OIL IS INJECTABLEo_O
also forged piston need more warm up time then a cast piston:)
what i was thinking is exactly that it was pinned for too long not allowed to cool properly. i will take a picture of the piston and post it once i figure out how to lol. it melted right on the exhaust side.

blaster piston.JPG