Where to ride in NE Iowa ?

titling .. yes , just once , but regi's are every year . And as far as cocky 13 yr olds . I am 53 and probably a LOT more cocky than my sons are .
What I am saying , which you don't seem to be grasping is :

Iowa -
you need to go thru their "safety" course ( if a minor - once ) $25.00
you need to consistantly register $15.00
you need to title ( only once ) $12.25
you need a "trail" sticker YEARLY $17.00

AND , unless your a farmer ... ( or live out in the country area ) , you can not ride the ditches or that type of area .
So ... you are basically restricted to the parks .
Now , all I was doing , was seeing if there are any FREEBIE areas that a person does NOT have to worry about being all up to date with IOWAs paperwork .
Like I said before . We go to a place just north of Columbia Mo called Finger Lakes state park ( north of I-70 approx 5 miles ,on US 63 on the east side of the hwy ) , which ONLY has a daily fee of a few bucks ( you can also camp there - pop up a tent or hook up your RV for a small fee also ). End of story - no registrations required , no "safety course" required , no "trail sticker" required . And yes , you can buy a yearly pass if you frequent there enough . And no , there is no EXTRA charge if your from out of state .
Again , I was not looking for an argueing match , but simply someplace to run where you did NOT have to oblige Iowa with all their fee's and required paperwork . Nothing more .
But , the more and more I read , hunt around , and inquire , I can honestly say that I am yet to find anything like that in this area ( NE / SE section anyway )

Iowa's regs on registering and all get me twisted out of shape - about 5 yrs back , when I owned a Kawasaki Bayou ( in addition to a few other machines ) and was getting it ready to take down to Finger Lakes . It was on a trailer and it is a 4 stroker ( so, yes , its kind of quiet ) and we headed on down . We got about 70 miles away from home ( the wife drives her car with the kids in it , behind my P/U towing the trailer ) and the wife called me on the cell and said she smelt gasoline . So , we pulled over on a side/gravel road just barely off the hwy ( hwy150 to be specific ) I go out went to the quads ( we had three then ) and started checking them . Well , After checking , I found the kawie was leaking gas thru the carb . - guessed the float got stuck . So , after tapping it a few times ( didn't much feel like removing the carb then ) and then sat there and fired it up . Well , low and behold , a Iowa state trooper happened by and made a flip around and came over to see if there was any problem . After talking with him ( nicely at first ) , he started checking licenses and regi's and insurance . Well , guess what . ( yes , I had my day in court also about this ) .
Since the quad WAS running ( even though it was on a trailer and NOT on the road ) it was required to be registered in Iowa ( which it was not ) and the cop then told me to hang on .. ran my license and then proceeded to write me a ticket for an UNREGISTERED vehicle ! I was also informed that he COULD impound it if he chose to do so .
Well ,after biting my tongue , and taking the ticket ( which BTW - was kind a crapper for a start of our mini vacation ) .
Anyway , when we got back , I went and tried to fight it . Guess what ... I lost .
Here is the reasons - ( Iowas laws )

321G.3
Each all-terrain vehicle and snowmobile used on public land or ice of this state shall be
currently registered and numbered. A person shall not operate, maintain, or give
permission for the operation or maintenance of an all-terrain vehicle or snowmobile on
public land or ice unless the all-terrain vehicle or snowmobile is numbered in accordance
with this chapter, or in accordance with applicable federal laws, or in accordance with an
approved numbering system of another state, and unless the identifying number set forth

...... blah blah blah ...
Now , read the next also -

SUBTITLE 2
CHAPTER 321G
321G.1

10. "Operate" means to ride in or on, other than as a passenger, use, or control the
operation of an all-terrain vehicle or snowmobile in any manner, whether or not the all-
terrain vehicle or snowmobile is moving.
11. "Operator" means a person who operates or is in actual physical control of an all-
terrain vehicle or snowmobile.

Notice this part ?
control the
operation of an all-terrain vehicle or snowmobile in any manner, whether or not the all-
terrain vehicle or snowmobile is moving

Anyway .. now , maybe you might understand WHY I am checking to see if there are any "free" places to ride here in Iowa . If not , no biggie , I'll still go down to Mo and ride there .

Eh, whatever, nothing is free in this world. You've been around long enough to realize that. I assumed that when you get your trail sticker that was the registration. The lady at my county recorder office said they don't send out reminders anymore and it can just be done at a any DNR place.

Eh, whatever, nothing is free in this world.

When I say FREE , I mean FREE of all Iowas paperwork laws .
And YES , there ARE places like that ( just seems that they are in other states regretfully . )
And when you said TRAIL sticker , I thought you were referring to a yearly pass to ride a park ( remember , I do not go to Iowa parks , so the exact info /terminology used for a registration decal is unknown to me .
The police do not refer to it as a TRAIL STICKER around here ... they call it a vehicle registration decal . B)
And view the link below to see what kind of trails I was inquiring about . Free , not as in NO fees at all , but , not for regi's and paperwork things . Fee to ride in/at their trails is totally acceptable and understandable . BUT , fees to ride due to VEHICLE registrations and safety courses and such ... nope ... not acceptable here .
its like there is a small track for dirtbikes just outside of Elkader which is private and does not require all of Iowas paperwork for a person to ride , but , as I just stated , its for dirtbikes :( .
Now , hopeful wishing there was someplace like the link below in Iowa and not too far away . :-[

BRUSHY CREEK MOTOR FARM

But , again , all in all ... guess there are no places like those in Iowa .X(
Shame though .....
Oh well , thanks anyway for the input . Guess I'll just stick to going to Missouri to ride .

I was born and raised in Waterloo...actually Dunkerton but no body knows where that's at...anyway. The only place to really ride was the Mitchel Sand Pits in town. Of course this was 8 years ago and it seemed like it was always shut down over 1/2 the time. I was fortunate enough to grow up on a farm with a nice pasture and a creek runnin through it. WOW! What I wouldn't give for that now! I live just outside Fort Worth and EVERYTHING here is money based. There's descent ATV parks around and it's $15-$30 per person per ATV per day, not including camping. There's no such thing as a memebership anywhere really. And if you ride goverment ground, you need an $8 OHV sticker. Lets put it this way...you can deer hunt in Iowa on public ground pretty easily for next to nothing or hit a farmer up. They always like getting rid of those buggers. Down here, you won't touch a piece of land to hunt on for under $1,500. No lie and that's VERY cheap.
Man do I miss the Midwest. So best thing to do is strike a deal with a local farmer to 'play' in his pastures for work/$$$ or buddy up to someone with land.
P.S. I always use to ditch ride and never really got bugged by the cops. Of course I'd put my flag on when I did that and maybe that helped some...I dunno.

actually Dunkerton but no body knows where that's at
Actually , yes , I do .... LOL
Used to go thru there enroute to IBP whenever I had to pick up ( or deliver ) there .
Anyway ... ditch riding is ok , but ... still not like a dedicated trail or park for ATV's/dirtbikes .
Anyway ... still go down to Finger Lakes campground/park , in MO....
makes me happy I:I

Tried Solon? A few miles NE of Iowa City.

Usually we load our stuff and take the fun to another state. If a buck can't be made off of it, Iowa isn't interested. If they could install one arm bandits on all the 4-wheelers they would be all over it.

Badlands, St Joe State Park in Missouri, Black River Falls

N

hey im by dubuque iowa an in springbrooke iowa they have a place called whispering meadows an its 10 bucks a day with only the exception of no double riding.... no tags or anything. if you dont want to where a helmet u just sign a waver also.... thats where i blew my blaster up cause my snorkle fell off goin through a deep puddle.... heres a vid of it

im the first person to go through with my blaster an the second is my griend with his yfz450 sp ed.. i had on 25% tread tires an he had brand new ones...

for only 10 bucks the place use to be pretty small but he just added another 80 acres i belive... so i think total he has like 20 miles of trails or so out there... if anyone wants to go out there just let me know an we can meet up somewhere an i can show you how to get htere an we can hit the trails.....

Last edited by a moderator:
We go riding in Solon, Iowa at Lakeview park, its about an hour drive for us! Its free and fun, they got jumps, some tracks, trails and mud lol Had a blast when we went just dont take trails that are close to the water and are mainly for dirtbikes lol that how my BF and his blaster took a swim!! Not too hard to tell that u will have a hell of a time getting through my BF just thought he could for some reason and tried..... Only thing he could do was take a dunk in the water lol Nice place with TONS of room to ride, used to be called 600 acres! If your not to far give it a try, I heard there is a place to camp bout 3 miles from the park too!

Sorry you will need registration to ride there, didnt see that you meant free as in no paperwork..... My bad