vintage 73 thunderjet oval clone snowmobile

blasterkid89

Jan 2, 2009
good old canisteo ny
heres are a couple pics of my oval racing clone ive been working on for a couple months now that the weather is decent out, it was a 79 Yamaha srx 440 chassis and i had to cut the front cross member down, and re weld the brackets ect.. to fit my reproduction 73' thunderjet glass, its getting there a little bit @ a time, i am putting on wahl oval bars, boxing in the rear of the tunnel, making custom foot wells, working on making an alum oval tank, low profile seat foam, motor is a gpx 433 free air that is being sent out to have the cyc bored .030, heads shaved .010, ported cyc, mukuni round slide 38mm carbs, ram air tubes, and i have a set of aaen stinger pipes, other mods include north star oval skis, custom belt and break guards, lowered suspension, and then everything its getting powder coated frame a friend, the tunnel and bulk head is a light gold in color and the hood and belly pan are gonna be ford grabber blue, and my uncles making me vynals, so buy the end of summer it should be ready to take to the vintage snowmobile shows

i had to readjust the 1 front cross memeber on 1 side
ATT00030.jpg

after cutting grinding and mig welding i got the front cross memeber and supports back on then i had to line up the belly pan and drill new holes for the spindles in the pan, what a bi*ch that was haha
clonefrontend.jpg

spindel1.jpg

heres what ive done so far and im gonna go down and work on it all this weekend too
clonequarter1.jpg

here are a couple pics of 73 thunder jets that were set up fo oval racing and what not
DSCF0067-2.jpg

77655.jpg

SnowmobileDrags_20090222_0445.jpg

SnowmobileDrags_20090222_0447.jpg

SnowmobileDrags_20090222_0457.jpg

well do i'm just taking my time on the sled a when ever i get a little extra $ i buy parts for it and usually every wk end i got down to my buddies garage to work on it for a couple hrs but hopefully it will be done in the fall just gotta take my time and stay focused haha

anyone else into vintage sleds or bikes?

heres some new pics of my race sled and i got my new motor , completley rebuilt bottom and top, bored .020 over makes about 65hp, then im gonan send it out to get it ported and polished, and i am picking up a set of aaen stinger spipes for it buy the tme it gets done it will have 75hp and a comet 102c cluch on it w/ 38mm mikuni ound slide carbs

thunderjetstart1.jpg

clonenewest025.jpg

clonenewest024.jpg

clonenewest029.jpg

heres pic of the front end i had to cut and fab it narrowerr it from 35" to 32" center to center of the spindels
clonenewest010.jpg

got some more work done on the clone and making a set of custom oval bars, been saving up money and just ordered $900 in parts so its well on its way to be set up for oval racing,i got a set of twin aaen stinger pipes and a new set of kikuni 38mm cars, just sent the cyc out to be be bored .040+ over sized piston and rings, new new rebuilt bottom end, new track,tie rods new hi performance gasket kit, ect... so Ive got quite a bit to keep my busy

clonenewest006.jpg

clonebars1a033.jpg

lowering the steering post as well
clonenewest031.jpg

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

motor3.jpg

DSCN6202.jpg