VF3 Reeds

Braaaptor

Dec 1, 2009
Hamlet, NC
Seeing as how most of us out there (myself included) run V-Force 3 reeds, I figured I might as well review 'em for those of y'all who haven't installed a set yet.

Compared to the stock reed cage, VF3's give you a noticable increase in throttle response and overall "snappiness". The engine feels crisper under throttle and seems to run better at all throttle positions. VF3 reeds won't increase HP enough to notice, IMO, but they are effective at improving throttle response.

The biggest "problem" with the VF3 reedcage is fitment. You can bolt them right up to a stock (and most aftermarket) rubber carb boots by just following the installation instructions (minor cutting of rubber is required), but you have to be careful when ordering a Pro Design billet intake. I learned the hard way that certain Pro Design boots will NOT work with VF3 reeds. I have never used a SMS (Snyder Motorsports) billet intake, but I believe VF3 reeds WILL work with those.

Why? Well, the reeds in a VF3 cage are held in place with a slip-in plastic retainer. This retainer MUST be installed with the cage, but it has a "tail" piece which slips into the intake boot itself to improve airflow coming through the reed cage. This "tail" won't fit into a Pro-Design billet aluminum intake unless you cut it off. Some people here have done exactly that...cut the tail off...but I'd rather leave my cage intact.

VF3 reeds are carbon fiber. I've run my set hard for two years with no trouble whatsoever from the reeds.. Replacement reeds are not cheap (about $ 60.00, I think), but they are available should the need arise. I don't see the VF3 reeds on my Blaster wearing out anytime soon.

Bottom line? IMO, when money allows, get yourself a set. They are money well-spent. The best price I've seen around is $ 129.99 on ebay and the occasional website sale. Yeah, that's not cheap, but then again its not $ 200.00, and you can often find a used set of VF3 reeds for less than $ 100.00.

My .02. Hope that helps somebody out there! I:I

Pro-design does make a Vforce intake thoough the design was made for the delta2 reed system not the VF3, the diffrence is that it does not have the air diverter that the stock pro-design intake has. the prodesign vforce intake does work well with the VF3's though as stated you must cut the crescent from the inner cage and port match both sides to ensure smooth airflow. If you mess up your inner cage you can buy replacements for 25$. I have been working this winter on designing an aluminium stuffer similar to cascade innovations banshee stuffer that eliminates the inner cage altogether but the prototype still needs further testing. Overall, though the Vforce3 reed system does provide a crisper throttle response, the inner cage is a biotch to deal with and in my opinion restricts airflow on heavily modified motors. Both Awk and Myself have opened them up to work with pro-design intakes with good results but not for those who are not good with modding.

IMO....give me VF3's or it might as well have a cam and valves !!!!!!!!

Reactions: mlrblaster
I have a question , that I dont know but I have been testing diffrent setups with my VF3's concerning the inner cage and no matter how I look at it I can't see any reason the inner cage is actually needed other than controlling air flow.

@blaner - You said they hold the reeds but I don't see how? And after seeing the banshee stuffers that dont extend into the cage I don't see how either actually hold them as the banshee ones are the exact same except cage size

I have a question , that I dont know but I have been testing diffrent setups with my VF3's concerning the inner cage and no matter how I look at it I can't see any reason the inner cage is actually needed other than controlling air flow.

@blaner - You said they hold the reeds but I don't see how? And after seeing the banshee stuffers that dont extend into the cage I don't see how either actually hold them as the banshee ones are the exact same except cage size

He bro, that plastic insert, (if that's what your referring to) is to direct the air flow to the reed tips. The funny part about that is it starts out no bigger than the rad valve opening but has a 1/8" more opening (1/16" each side) more than the rad valve opening. I measured this before I cut mine to pieces!! Now if I can just find someone to make me a custom intake/spacer to mount to the V3's I'd be set!!! :p

@slick - haha, I was hoping to clarify what blaner meant by it holds the reeds, I was trying to figure out if he was seeing something that I'm not. That statement didnt make sense to me I'm with you that it just keep a smooth airflow, and @awk do you mean (spacer) between the cylinder and VF3 or between the reeds and intake. I had no luck in testing with a spacer between the reed block and intake as it broke up the smooth airflow of having both pieces port matched unless the inner cage was taken out of the picture. I'm workin on a little somethin somethin but it has been back to the drawing board after a few tests and I'm still ironing out some kinks. But expect a full write-up soon, and expect something to test soon slick. I:I

my sons has a spacer between the vf3's and the cylinder, thats how it came used, as someone used yamabond to seal them, and it looked like i was gonna cut into the reedcage when i tried to split them with a razor blade, so on they stayed

slick had tried a spacer behind the vf3's before, and every time the engine got a load on it, the center piece of the vf3's would push back out of the cage and it would not run??? we towed him back to my place 3 times.

i also tried my vf3's without the center piece and didnt like the results, i forget exactly what they were, but it wasnt acceptable
i finally cut off the nozzle to match my pro design intake, and it's been rippin like that for almost 3 years now