Vented flywheel stator cover, opinions and discussion.

79 bronco

Moderator & Self Custom Psycho
Staff member
Apr 9, 2010
I don"t know???????
I never thought much about a vent for my flywheel until i seen 2smokin post on his stator cover, and then today i opened up my cover so i can float my ground. It did not look good! It was a aluminum oxidation nightmare, and i could see on my aluminum cover a spot of oxidation where there was a PUDDLE. I have had this blaster for over 20 years and could never keep the water out of my cover!

So i was talking to some of my friends who are in to vintage trials riding, and they say that all there bikes are vented with points and condenser ignition system.

They cant see how the flywheel and stator is going to stay dry and sealed when your motor is hot and then you ride through cold water, your going to get CONDENSATION, and also the pressure from the spinning flywheel.

They have experience with vents in the top of the case and at the bottom of the case. The vent on the top of the case, like what is on a TY175 is good for stopping your cover gasket from blowing out, but you get water vapor and condensation in it. The bikes with the vent at the bottom do the same thing BUTT at the end of the day the use the bottom vent at a DRAIN!
Out of all the vintage trials bikes they run like the yamaha's, benelli's, and montesa's, the bikes with the bottom vent are the cleanest inside because they can drain them.

So now im thinking about venting my cover! Opinions Please!

Reactions: 2smokin
My old Elsinore is also like that as far as bottom drain. Which was a real problem with water and points.
I agree it should vent somewhere/somehow. I'd of thought it would vent some just through the wire bundle sheath.

I did have a maybe brilliant idea tho. What about those dissicant packs like you find in shoe/boot boxes? Attach one inside cover and just change it whenever.
No clue where you would get them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccant

Maybe one of these :http://www.deltaadsorbents.com/desiccant-silica-gel-breathers/t101c68.aspx run a tube up to air box or steering hoop?

I never thought much about a vent for my flywheel until i seen 2smokin post on his stator cover, and then today i opened up my cover so i can float my ground. It did not look good! It was a aluminum oxidation nightmare, and i could see on my aluminum cover a spot of oxidation where there was a PUDDLE. I have had this blaster for over 20 years and could never keep the water out of my cover!

So i was talking to some of my friends who are in to vintage trials riding, and they say that all there bikes are vented with points and condenser ignition system.

They cant see how the flywheel and stator is going to stay dry and sealed when your motor is hot and then you ride through cold water, your going to get CONDENSATION, and also the pressure from the spinning flywheel.

They have experience with vents in the top of the case and at the bottom of the case. The vent on the top of the case, like what is on a TY175 is good for stopping your cover gasket from blowing out, but you get water vapor and condensation in it. The bikes with the vent at the bottom do the same thing BUTT at the end of the day the use the bottom vent at a DRAIN!
Out of all the vintage trials bikes they run like the yamaha's, benelli's, and montesa's, the bikes with the bottom vent are the cleanest inside because they can drain them.

So now im thinking about venting my cover! Opinions Please!

It looks like the Blaster has no venting for the cover.Older bikes with points had to have the drain or the points would short out . As far as needing a vent that has pro and cons. The pro is the vent will help prevent rust and condensation build up . The con is the vent hose needs to be as high as the crankcase vent to help water from entering. Like I said I plan to use the gas cap one way vent tube.
But really the problem is one of taking care of the Blaster by doing regular PM. I remove the cover every time I change the gear box oil. I clean the flywhell and then spray the entire inside with WD- 40 and put the cover back on. If you don't know WD -40 contains olive oil that has a high flash point for heat and is a water dispersant. I clean my Blaster with Simple Green that does not corrode connectors like some detergents do . Then I spray WD -40 over the entire bike and wipe it down leaving a small film of WD 40 to lubricate and help prevent surface rust from forming. I also put Sta-Bil in ANY gas that I buy ( lawn mower ,chain saw, motorcycle ) but do not plan to use right away. It will protect the gas in storage for up to 2 yrs. Just my 2 cents.

I think a vent tube is a great idea. Every cover I have been into has had some corrosion in it. My first blaster would get moisture in it all the time. Like @rich1 I use Stabil in all of my gas as well. The gas sat in my quad all winter and the carb still looked good. Of course I took no chances and drained the fuel and cleaned the carbs.

I never use a pressure washer ! It forces water past seals and gaskets, ruining bearings and internal parts.

I was talking to my friends today about putting a vent on the top where the rubber grommet thing is, and also putting a drain on my stator cover.

I think my friend was joking with me because 1 hour later he handed me a radiator drain thing. lol

He handed me this VVVVVV I looked at him and asked, Where you hiding the monkey bread crumbs! lol :D

drainlol.jpg

Reactions: Awk08
He handed me this VVVVVV I looked at him and asked, Where you hiding the monkey bread crumbs! lol :D

he musta been high on monkey bread crumbs, everyone knows thats a hack-saw-destroy fuel bowl drain :D

DSC00088-1.jpg

I clean the flywhell and then spray the entire inside with WD- 40 and put the cover back on. If you don't know WD -40 contains olive oil .

ah yeah, i'm not seeing olive oil listed as an ingredient on the MSDS sheet for wd-40, unless it's part of the 10% mixture of non hazardous ingredients ?
but it is 25% petroleum based
http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/WD-40-Bulk-MSDS-282-21-14-29.pdf

i've also seen warnings to not use internally on any motors as it will eat the laquer off the windings, such as the windings on the coils of our stators.

Chemical solvents that include aliphatic hydrocarbons are good for dissolving and removing oil residues from metal surfaces.

WD 40 is great for penetrating and loosening fasteners.

It is also an excellent water dispersant, but if i need a product to clean and lubricate the WD40 stays in the can.