trx250r VS. 450

I hate to be the one always pimping out the 4 stroke, but you will be better off on a 450. end of story....

get a 250r that has a aftermarket frame and put a dirtbike 4 stroke engine and you'll have a fast light quad. There are cheap 250r's and u can get a engine for under a grand. I:I

get a 250r that has a aftermarket frame and put a dirtbike 4 stroke engine and you'll have a fast light quad. There are cheap 250r's and u can get a engine for under a grand. I:I

i think i will have to work with the motor its got first, but thats not a bad idea eaither.

im applying for a job. so i will be working and getting some money for a truck, then the 250r.

used 450R & 250R's can both be had for around $2k (250R's cheaper in some areas) for a nice base for a build... the more you get with them, obviously, the more they are going to cost. What you will want to find is an 04/05 TRX450R due to the stronger transmission than the 06+ bikes. They are also kickstart only. Drop in a Stage 2 hotcam or HRC cam, throw the airbox lid in the trash, get it jetted properly, Dasa Exhaust, & some suspension. Then get your head ported & an FCR carb and be sitting pretty at ~50 - 55 hp & ~32 - 35 ft. lbs of torque.

I have an 08 450R sitting at 56/36 & it will walk away from my Banshee with 67/40. I know you aren't comparing the 450R to a Banshee, but when you miss a downshift or need instant power to get over a jump, the 4 stroke will be your best friend.

I was planning on modding both, tlbut I think that the 250r will be cheaper in Yeh long run, with the mod. I mean sure u can build a crazy fast 250r that can wreck 450's, but at first, I'm not going to be able to work.it that hard. So I just want to know if a slightly nodded 250r can keep up and maybe place with worked 450's.

It's probably all gonna come down to Wht I can afford t that time, and Wht I can find. But Im almost certain that a 250r will ne cheaper in aftermarket. Which means I can get mote parts faster then the 450. But I also don't want to mod the he'll out of it just to be able to keep up. And I don't want to put myself into he position where I spent 3k on a 250r and still find my self not being able to race because I will get creamed until I put another 3k into aftermarket to get it to run with the big boys.

I was talking to a friend last night about it, and he's been racing for like 20 years on mostly 450's and he said that it will mostly come down to rider preference. Obviously motor and suspension work will have to be done. But I told him Wht I wanted to do at first, and he thought that it was a good start and might pull a few holeshots or so in C class.

If you want to race get either one. If you want to win get a 450.
We have a class called sponsors cup which has atva pro riders in it. One being Mark Madl and the other being Devin Heimes. Devin started this season on a built to the max best of everything 250r with a 265 kit in it and could not beat the 450's. He was class champion 2 years ago on an LTR450 and 2nd last year. Now he is back on a 450 and competing for the win each week. Trust me if they could win everyone would race one becuase its no secret they are cheaper than a 450 motor. Also most track will only allow up to 265cc 2stroke against the 450's. you can pick up a trx450 for about $2k right now.
Also most guys say get the 04-05 but it is not as fast as the 06-07. You can find 06 with kick start also. However the 06/7 models have higher compression, the FCR carb, longer swing arm. Get an 06, put a full HRC kit in it, do the green wire mod, add a pipe and k&n filter setup and you will compete very well. However I would get suspension first then the mods. You will be faster with good suspension and plenty of Hondas getting parted out all over the web.
Trust me it won't compete in MX, now TT racing different story.

If you want to race get either one. If you want to win get a 450.
We have a class called sponsors cup which has atva pro riders in it. One being Mark Madl and the other being Devin Heimes. Devin started this season on a built to the max best of everything 250r with a 265 kit in it and could not beat the 450's. He was class champion 2 years ago on an LTR450 and 2nd last year. Now he is back on a 450 and competing for the win each week. Trust me if they could win everyone would race one becuase its no secret they are cheaper than a 450 motor. Also most track will only allow up to 265cc 2stroke against the 450's. you can pick up a trx450 for about $2k right now.
Also most guys say get the 04-05 but it is not as fast as the 06-07. You can find 06 with kick start also. However the 06/7 models have higher compression, the FCR carb, longer swing arm. Get an 06, put a full HRC kit in it, do the green wire mod, add a pipe and k&n filter setup and you will compete very well. However I would get suspension first then the mods. You will be faster with good suspension and plenty of Hondas getting parted out all over the web.
Trust me it won't compete in MX, now TT racing different story.

but then comes the money factor. aftermarket parts for 250r are like blasters. cheap. 450's arent unless u get really lucky. im not looking to compete in a class. im looking into collageboy and C class. maybe later with more work and more experience B class, but thats way down the road... im not looking to go pro on a 250r. and edventually upgrade to a 450 when i have a real job etc. my parents and family dont pay for much at all. maybe just entries. im not expecting to win every race. do i want to place? yes! but i know its not always gonna happen. especially at first

Yamaha yfz definatly I have mine and it is such a big difference for the track compared to my blaster and also my 400ex it's crazy even modded to stock it's way better on the track!!

you need to test ride them both on a track setting and see which you are faster on. if you can ride a 2 stroke fast you will always be faster on it. if you are better on the 4-stroke torque curve then get a 450. given the choice i would take a trx450 then a yfz450 but really they are both amazing ATV's. and stock for stock the new 450's are a million times easier to ride then the old 250r. but odds are you will not find an even vaguely stock 250R so they will be more comparable.