TORS - what it is?

Blaster LT

Jan 13, 2017
Hello, I have heard about it and I would like to know, what it is, how it works and why most of people derestrict them. Thank You!

Welcome aboard!

The "TORS" is Yamaha's method of helping to prevent lawsuits, caused by ignorant morons that don't know how to hit a kill switch/stop button, but brag all the time about how great of a rider they are.

TORS is an acronym for... "Throttle Over Ride System".
It consists of a small control box, a micro switch on the thumb throttle, and a micro switch/cable assembly inside that aluminum "brick" on top of the carburetor.
If the two switches are both "open" at the same time, or "closed" at the same time, it tells the little control box to reduce and retard the spark to the plug. This causes the engine to go into an idle. There is also a micro switch on the parking brake, so that a rider, can't apply throttle with the parking brake on. If you try to apply throttle with the parking brake on, the engine just goes... Baa, baa, baa, baa, baa.

My wife's blaster is bone stock, and the system works great and has had zero issues. However... If the system starts to develop issues, its usually easier to just remove it rather than diagnose it. The issues it can develop are mis-adjusted micro switches, water damage, broken wires, a previous owner working on it that shouldn't even own a tool box, etc, etc.
Your blaster will also lose some weight in the process when you remove it. For me, I opt to remove it. It makes it much easier to do carb work and looks better.
When and if you opt to remove it, you will need to add a different carb cap, different throttle cable, and drill and tap the carb body for an idle adjustment screw (easy to do). The reason you need to add a idle screw is because the old one is on the TORS 'Brick" on the carb.

I remember the good old days when you were responsible for your own actions, and used common sense. Its just not like that anymore. When a company, any company, idiot proofs a product, along comes a more improved idiot/moron.

Hope this helps you out.