Top End Tapping noise?

dls4523

Aug 13, 2010
Good Day Everyone! I am brand new to the forum, Blasters, and ATVs in general. Just bought a 2004 a couple days ago from a local, and have not had much chance to ride it so far. It seems to run good (pretty quick) the little bit i have driven it, but since i have been looking it over more, i don't think the guy took very good care of it at all. K&N Filter was nasty, oil was nasty, frame is bent near where the grab bar was, the plastic is pretty beat up, etc.

Anyway, i took all the plastic off the chassis yesterday to do some cleaning and get some of the gunk off of everything. Used some degreaser and a hose, and since i put it back together it doesn't seem quite right. It was a little difficult to get started again the first time, and now it seems like there is a "tapping" noise coming form the top end i think that i don't believe was there before i cleaned it. THe tapping varies with the RPM, and it seems to be getting louder and louder. I took a video so you guys could hear it. Hopefully someone can let me know if this is normal, and if not, what kind of damage there may be. The only think i can think of that i could have done is if i got water and/or degreaser in the carb? Could that have messed up the engine? I didn't spray anything in it directly, but i also didnt block if off when i had the air filter tube off with the rear plastic.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't sound good. I'd pull the cylinder off and check out what's going on with the piston/rings/crank

yeah dude! I'm over here yellin turn it off! turn it off! sounds like there is something in the cumbustion chamber bangin around. not good. post pics when you get the head off. pull the tank and head and you can get a good look at the top of the piston

Could this noise be caused from using the wrong oil? My friend seems to think we might have put the wrong oil in it. The previous owner was using Yamalube for the oil mix, and i used something different, from auto zone, and he said he thinks it might be too thin?

as long as you mixed enough oil with the gas no that shouldn't cause that noise(32/1)you should really run a high end oil. yamalube 2r is ok. do an oil search on the forum. there are quite a few good ones out there. I see some weird coloration on parts on that piston. like right next to the intake port in the corner. it is a goldish color. that isn't normal. you need to do a leakdown test after you put it back together. and I would order a new top end gasket set too. the top of the piston looks like it was leaning out pretty badly. good thing you didn't keep running it or you would have had a full meltdown for sure.

Good Day Everyone! I am brand new to the forum, Blasters, and ATVs in general. Just bought a 2004 a couple days ago from a local, and have not had much chance to ride it so far. It seems to run good (pretty quick) the little bit i have driven it, but since i have been looking it over more, i don't think the guy took very good care of it at all. K&N Filter was nasty, oil was nasty, frame is bent near where the grab bar was, the plastic is pretty beat up, etc.

Anyway, i took all the plastic off the chassis yesterday to do some cleaning and get some of the gunk off of everything. Used some degreaser and a hose, and since i put it back together it doesn't seem quite right. It was a little difficult to get started again the first time, and now it seems like there is a "tapping" noise coming form the top end i think that i don't believe was there before i cleaned it. THe tapping varies with the RPM, and it seems to be getting louder and louder. I took a video so you guys could hear it. Hopefully someone can let me know if this is normal, and if not, what kind of damage there may be. The only think i can think of that i could have done is if i got water and/or degreaser in the carb? Could that have messed up the engine? I didn't spray anything in it directly, but i also didnt block if off when i had the air filter tube off with the rear plastic.

YouTube - Yamaha Blaster - Top End tapping noise

This is why you should always check the bike over before you buy it. Maybe even have someone look it over for you. You did ride it before you bought it right?

Yes, i did ride it. It rode great and had plenty of pep, but i guess in the excitement i looked over the fact that it was fairly beat up...

Scot - it still has the oil injection hooked up, so i did not mix the gas. i just ordered some of the Klotz Super Techniplate and Bel Ray Gear Saver off of RockyMountain, as well as a new top end gasket kit. not sure if i should put it back together and see how it goes with some different oil or take it apart some more... On a side note, i did come with a spare engine (everything but piston i believe), though i am not real sure on the condition...

you need to get an oil injection block off. those things are ticking timebombs. looks like you still have one bore left in that jug if this piston goes bad. looked like that was a 68mm piston. pull the whole jug and look at the piston. post pics if you aren't sure if it is good or not. check the bore for groves. look in the crank chamber and make sure it is clear of any debris(metal shavings). your rod should have no up and down play. on either side of the crank there are thrust washers. they should look identicle to each other. if not you have a problem. the bottom end rod bearings need to be straight in there. if they look crooked you have a problem. let me know what you find

The good news is that the piston and bore looks very good and you may have shut it down just in time to save it.

The bad news is, as scotj pointed out, you only have one more overbore on that engine if you blow it. So make sure you figure out what's wrong with it and you can keep it together for a while...

It's obvious that it was leaking between the cylinder and the head. It's possible that the head is warped slightly and with a little resurfacing (and a replacement stud) it could reseal properly. It's not a total loss on the head gasket... but you will still need to pull the top end down to find the source of the real problem. If it is crank play (which it sounds like) the top end may be able to be saved and slapped on top of a new crank.

Killer454, the same logic applies to your case although probably more so because yours isn't as already down as the first.... you'll need to pull the head off and look down in there to see if you have a ruined piston or ring...once you've determined what you've got, you'll know what you'll need to fix the problem.

man i need advice on this
let me start by telling you guys how well this thing runs
starts on first kick or second
has 126lbs of compression
i have ran the hell out of this thing for two weeks now,rode all day last saturday no problems at all.

it just has this same tapping noise as in the video (exactly the same)im having a hard time saying there is a problem with it because of how well it is running.

but im new to the two-stroke class atv and im loveing every minute of it.

im going on a ride this weekend with this 98 with the tapping noise,the 05 has not got the pump off it yet,i have two pump blockoff kits on the way as i type this post.the 98 is premixed in the tank.

could you guys give the advice again now knowing the compression reading and running strength of the engine?

thanks from killer454

mine makes a good amount of noise as well, but most air cooled 2 strokes make a good amount of noise.

you need to check the piston to wall clearance to be sure everything is kosher

if you don't have one you should order a clymers manual. the online manual is ok but it is nice to have the book when your hands are covered in oil. I would guess both of you guys are suffering from airleaks somewhere in the top end. make yourself a leakdown tester there is a diy on it.

YouTube - Yamaha Blaster - Top End tapping noise

Did you ever find out what that noise was? Mine sounds exactly the same.

It could be the piston hitting the head ,, someone may have milled to head and not chambered it for the piston ..i got a milled head from ebay and it tapped a lil so i pulled it off and put stock back on .... If it that bad for you ,, you can add a second base gasket to add some clearance in the top of the motor