top end noise

redranger

Jun 20, 2009
Topeka, KS
Hey guys, I just got a new blaster and it runs great but its got a kinda knocking or pinging noise in the the end i believe. Does anyone know what this would be since it runs good?? Thanks for the help

I have no reason to believe this is you issue,BUT Word of advise,Pull you reeds and look into the head...i did and noticed that the bottom of my piston was....GONE !! it ran fine,but was making a interesting noise.kinda like you describe.

it is a noise like i said, ping or knock in the top end which i didn't hear on my 01 so idk. It probably needs a new top end anyways since this is the stock one on a 03 and it dosen't seem like the guy did a whole lot of matience on it

it happens when ur fuel doesnt explode. it just ignites and burns really fast. or when there is not an evenly mixed mixture of air and fuel inside ur combustion chamber and one forms a bubble and ignites on its own and the spark plug ignites and the two pressure waves make a PING or a knock kinda noise. happens alot in diesels. but u can easily fix this problem by using higher octane gas as blasterfreek said.

it happens when ur fuel doesnt explode. it just ignites and burns really fast.
what your refering to is detonation.. usually caused by a few things.. too low of octane (which would mean too much compression or too much ign advance) or even a "lean" condition can cause a detonation issue. this being from accelerated cylinder temperature.. the fuel does not "EXPLODE".. if it did you'd have shards of alum in your scrotum.. when the mixture ignitesit creates a "flame front" and as the pisotn comes up to TDC and the burn pattern advances the cylinder temperature rises as does the cylinder pressure (they go hand in hand) this creates a force above the piston and as the piston travels past TDC the force from the rapid burning and heat "pushes" the piston downward.. thats how an internal combustion engine works.. now detonation is also refered to as "pre igntion" which is probably a better term.. (the term predetonation makes me laugh thats like pre premature ejaculation it makes no sense) what happens here is the flame front starts too soon.. therefore ending before the piston is in the proper position to be "pushed". to much igntion timing will ignite the mixture eariler. for example lets say the optimum place for our "push" is 15deg ATDC (after top dead center) by igniting the mixture earlier you may move that to say 5deg ATDC this force at the wrong time wil beat the piston and wrist pin bearing as well as mar the head.. same thing with too much compression.. your accerlating the cylinder pressure therefore accerating the cylinder temperature. higher pressure= higher heat.. you following me? lean condition.. same scenario. more heat... the fuel charge does provide some "cooling" action for the cylinder.

octane is not a measure of "power" but more a measure of knock resistance.. what alot of people don't understand about octane is that higher octane fuels burn SLOWER.. not faster.. remember that scerio with the 15deg ATDC... well if you have a pump gas enigne lets say 89 octane.. and you decided to dump 110 race fuel in it because your buddies say it makes your quad "faster" what your doign is prolonging the burn in teh cylinder and now your "push" comes on even later.. maybe even 25-30deg ATDC.. now you've just lost 15deg of leverage and length to spin the crankshaft.. which creates torque (the twisting force that moves your quad) and Horse power (which is a byproduct ot torque)

if i confused you or you would like it explained a different way lemme know.. i did just see a pretty easy to understand defination in car craft this morning.

i'm sure i misspelled a few words in there.. chalk it up to fat fingers and typing fast.. i know somepeople biotch about how sometimes my "the" comes out "teh" or i type liek or form when i mean like or from.. if that really bothers you that much... then please feel free to skip the information i'm sharing..

well sh*t. i have no idea i'm just goin to keep going with the same thing thats been in it since it was new for now. eventually, like i said, throw a new top end in it. hopefuly i can figure it out with the DIY!! thanks for the responses

My last blaster did that. As mentioned above....The piston skirt cracked and eventualled destroyed my whole motor when it started to break chucks off. Melted the crank and cracked one of the cases.... Lesson learned, I would check it out real good if you dont believe its just the regular 2 stroke bring da ding ding ding sound.