Todays Score !!!!!!

Awk08

Administrator
Staff member
Technician
Jan 30, 2009
Usa
my buddy scotty, who we built the black and white blaster for late last summer, decided he wanted to use some of his income tax to get another blaster for his son, after searching CL and a few other local sites, i finally decided to go give this one a look, his brother and i drove 2 hours north to have a peek, guy says it lost power one day, he pulled the head and said the piston did not have a hole in it, apparently thats all the troubleshooting he did ?????

he wanted $675, basically all stock except full FMF pipe, 4 good maxxis razr's, good plastics, unbent frame, DG front bumper and rear wide grab bar. good chain and bearings all seem good, it needs swinger roller and the 2 smaller rollers, all of which i have extras of.

when he described in person what happened, i said "ooohhhhh that sounds like it broke the piston skirt off, thats gonna cost me about $200+ to fix"
i offered him $450, he countered with $475, LOL
i stuck out my hand to shake and said "DEAL" !!!!!

pic from the ad............
xx1r9.jpg

here it is on the ride home and as we did some basic troubleshooting, we annealed the head gasket to re-torque it back down, also noticed the lever inside the throttle had worked loose and was probably hitting that tors button in there ???, tightened that and ditched the whole tors. checked the main jet...a 250 for an fmf pipe and uni filter ?????
switched that to the only other bigger one i had...a 290 for now.

s24bkn.jpg

nprjgi.jpg

2ylqpsg.jpg

remember broken piston skirt suggestion got me $200 knocked off,
wonder why it wouldnt run ??? LOL.................

ftf75.jpg

i replaced them with a half set of dual stage reeds i had layin in the garage, replaced the fuel with some 32:1 amsoil i had mixed.
it fired right up on the second kick, and revs clean, clutch felt good and all 6 gears work, but it won't idle, guess i shoulda cleaned the carb while i was in there, duh !!!!!

to be continued ..........

Nice man why did the 90s have such flambioent colors...

hey, i loved my flamboyant black and purple 1996 !!!!!!!
but it was slightly less flaming as yours............
black fenders/purple seat, tank and hood

I think Yamaha might have had a funny fellow working for them, know what I mean?? What's with the "Barney" Banshee & Blaster, "Micky D" Banshee, and the aquamarine Blaster?? BTW, my Blasty is burple and white ,LOL.

Anyhow, good score !!

Nice score Bro! So where did that reed petal go?

a long time ago, on my 96, a factory yamaha trained mechanic told me not to worry about broken reed petals in the engine, they either suck thru, get chopped to pieces and get blown out, or fall to the bottom and stick to the oil layin down there, since then i have seen quite a few broken reeds on others bikes, replace the petal and rock on, i've never noticed any ill effects ????
my oringinal thoughts were them blocking the transfers from the bottom ?????

and we drove up past clarion to get this, quite a road trip,
but worth it !!!!

Dang....you flogged that poor seller, lol. Nice pick up....it's obviously in good hands now.

jus a lil update, turns out thats an FMF SST pipe on this bike, not a fatty
anyone have any info on the performance differences ?
jetting differences between the 2 ?
the owner took this pipe off this yellow bike and put it on his wh/blk one we built him last season, his son doesn't need any more power than stock

and got a good set of reeds/cage coming from dulastroke, thanx bro !!!

I see a chart somewhere, The SST has a higher top and broader Rpm range pull than the fatty. Let me see if I can find that!

good info slick, although it's known some bike pipes are good where as the same manufacturers pipes suck on a blasty
not sure that info applies to the FMF blasty pipes ???