thanking bout putting a turbo on my blaster could use some help

blaster_pro

Feb 14, 2010
Big Stone Gap VA.
could u guys give me some info? i saw a guy on here the other day that put a turbo on his but i would like to kno some more about it. so if u guys could tell me what kind of turbo and ur opinion that would be great.and maybe some pics if u want I:I

Probably not the best idea if you don't have any background with turbo's or what all goes into getting them set up correctly. It'd be a sweet ride if it all came out right, but it takes a lot of work and could get costly. I think unless you are set on it you might wanna stick to the usual mods or a motor swap instead. Thats just my opinion anyway.

Reactions: 2000blasternewb
Man turbos suck. I have buddies with turbo eclipses, bmw M3's, suparas and 240s and even a mustand. All are fully built and all they ever do is blow motors. They spend all winter building them 2 blow them 1/2 way through the summer. Power is great but reliability is better. 3 mill stroker and a ct 240 kit. Other than that buy a banshee if you want more power.

Just my 2c

Man turbos suck. I have buddies with turbo eclipses, bmw M3's, suparas and 240s and even a mustand. All are fully built and all they ever do is blow motors. They spend all winter building them 2 blow them 1/2 way through the summer. Power is great but reliability is better. 3 mill stroker and a ct 240 kit. Other than that buy a banshee if you want more power.

Just my 2c

If your talking about full out drag cars then thats what happens when you run super high boost numbers. A turbo running proper psi will last quite a while, such as factory turbo'd cars like SRT-4's and cobalt ss. Engine life with a turbo is all about having the right engine setup for how many psi's you are running, along with taking the proper care of the motor as well as the turbo. I'm not trying to tell you your opinion is wrong, but when set up correctly, turbos are great for adding hp and doesn't take away much reliability.

I was staring at my blocked off oil drive a few weeks ago and knowing a turbo is a very difficult sey up what about a supercharger like a powerdyne which is essentially a belt/gear driven turbocharger the difficult part is the addition of fuel as boost raises I don't think I'd ever try it I'm still thinking about a 400 swap I'll see how much I like the bbk and stroker then maybe go for more cc's

ok well there are a few thing when turbocharging your going to need stronger reeds an oil set up a plenum with vacuum line then if you get the thing to run right the balls to ride it there for draging it not easy at all you have to know what your doing and have to know how to tun that much air you have to put boost to the carb not a lot of people know that lol:-/

If your talking about full out drag cars then thats what happens when you run super high boost numbers. A turbo running proper psi will last quite a while, such as factory turbo'd cars like SRT-4's and cobalt ss. Engine life with a turbo is all about having the right engine setup for how many psi's you are running, along with taking the proper care of the motor as well as the turbo. I'm not trying to tell you your opinion is wrong, but when set up correctly, turbos are great for adding hp and doesn't take away much reliability.

even a stock motor will hold 20-22psi if you can tune it....same thing with why nitrous gets a bad rap...if you can tune it a nitrous motor will last a long time

If I were you, read up on as much turbo information as you can find. Then read some more, and then even more. Not to be demeening (SP) or anything but you dont seem to know to much about how a turbo works. Better to know what your getting yourself into than anything.

Theres a lot to turboing a carbd motor.

Theres pretty much 2 setups. One setup puts the turbo before the carb, and you have a boost tight box the carb sits in, and the entire intake system after the turbo is pressurized. The other setup puts the carb before the turbo and that means the fuel mixture is put through the turbo. If you use a turbo with a carbon seal, youre ok. If you use a turbo with a floating rubber oil seal, you will burn that seal up. Also youd have to find a way to lubricate the internals of the turbo, as turbos require oil to lubricate their internals, so you could use the oil injection pump to send oil to the turbo bearings, then send the oil back to a container for the oil injection to pick up again, or something like that.

You could definately do it, but I dont know how well it would work.