stator side crank seal

trble

Mar 24, 2011
sunbury pa.
ok i replaced both crank seals and now im doing my leakdown test. im getting bubbles off the stator cover making me think that seal in there is leaking. im going to take off the cover and stator and magneto off to check if it is leaking with a new seal is there anything i can put on it rtv??? to keep it from leaking

thanks

joe

If the seat area is leaking, you can remove the seal and make sure there isn't any damage to the seal itself.

If there is a small burr on the case sealing surface you can RTV it before reinstalling the seal. If the seal has been torn during installation (which happens occasionally) the seal must be replaced.

ok by seat you mean right on the crank right, thats were its leaking any hints on how to get this out with tearing it i dont mind ordering a new one but would love to save it if possible considering it was a brand new one from yamaha.

the seat would be the outer portion that makes contact with the case. it looks like you will need to order a new seal. also remember to grease the seal fill the lip with grease and even put a thin coating over the crank area to help with it not catching or tearing need to be really careful the seals are not that hard to tear dont force it too much!

ok i ordered a new one any idea how to get this one out and salvage it to see if i tore it? also next step when i get the new one in what are the right ways to install it i didnt have a socket long enough to go over the crank, so i used a wooden paint stirrer and a hammer lightly taping it in and by light i may aswell have been hitting it with my hand.

thanks again, im starting to think this was a bad idea for a toy cough money pit cough....the wife still looks at me and tells me to sell it

joe

meh... crank side seal isn't a big problem. The best way obviously is a deep seal installer or a socket deep enough and big enough around to install the seal... If those can't be had, the method you used doesn't sound too bad.

I've found that a very thin layer of grease and a thorough cleaning of the seat will allow the seal to be pushed in by hand as long as it's not cocked to one side too far and put in a bind.

maybe something like a plumbing coupler or pipe or plastic. As for removing it , highly doubt you can pull it without damage, plus if it's leaking why would you want to keep it?

your not gonna pull it without damage. grease your seals and your shaft before installing. make sure all surfaces are clean use fine sand paper on the crank and case followed by carb or brake cleaner make sure its clean. try not to get any of it in the bearings or case. i used a piece of PVC pipe to install my seal, i am sure there is a better way but that's what i had at the time.

Personally I would use red crocus cloth to polish crank if necessary. As to "sandpaper" I wouldn't use any coarser than 1500 grit, preferably 2000 wet&dry , maybe used with little light oil.

Actually.... a carefully cut piece of PVC pipe is probably about as good as anything else to install the seal. Anything that's nearly the same outside diameter of the seal which can have equal pressure applied around the outside.

I wouldn't use any sandpaper on the crankshaft (except as larry said, maybe 1500-2000 grit) unless there was a knick and damage which is much worse than the scratches sandpaper might leave on the shaft.

sorry for not using the right terminology i met to say emery cloth but was having a brain fart at 12 am. sand paper would work in a pinch thats why i used the word FINE with it ;)