Stainless Engine Bolt Kit

deeeebeeeeee

Aug 20, 2015
Rossville, Ga
Pulled the trigger on the set from Ebay waiting on the postal service.
Not only are they stainless which should look nice, but the bolts are all socket head bolts, which IMHO is about the strongest internal grip head they make. Socket head bolts are definitely stronger and easier to use than flat, Philips or button head, screws.
$_57.JPG

I am hoping that the quality is good, and that they are strong, cleanly threaded and made of good steel. One of the things I like about this kit is that it has the case bolts as well as bolts and washers for the carb bowl, reed cage, stator, etc, I would have liked to had the mount and swingarm bolts and nuts as well.

If anyone has had this particular kit and can comment please do.

Laterms
DeeeeBeee

Dont get me wrong ,,,thats a decent deal but can be had for cheaper (if you want to spend the time ordering sepreatly) Also stainless really arent the strongest bolts. Actually "most" ss bolt kits dont even meet the requirement for the minimum torque specs.. <<<<< i am refering to the cases ,(,not the clutch , oil pump, flywheel cover etc...) cases require just a tad more ft lbs torque than the average ss bolt kits supply.. Although I have used them ,and prob most others have also without any issue..

case bolts should be 7.2 ftlbs.. I remember the ss bolts were just shy of that @ 6.9 ? i cant remember of the top of my head but i know it was close.. /it all depends on the bolt grade though.. but again i use them plenty of times with no probs..

I am not sure, what grade stainless the bolts are. One thing I did notice is that the stator bolts have the heads lathed down to clear the flywheel , this is a big point for me because my factory bolts are shot one was warped, and both had chewed up heads.

Amazingly short of the already trashed stator bolts I was able to get the rest of the #3 Philips head bolts loose and out without issue, of course I used my body weight to all but lay on a properly sized #3 screwdriver, as well as pair of locking pliers to turn it. Works just as good as an impact driver, especially if you take a hammer and lightly strike the screwdriver to be sure its well seated.

So they showed up today and it's a pretty nice set, everything was individually bagged and labeled. Normally I shop around for the best price I can get, but these preassembled kits end up getting me on the impuse buy, I guess it just takes too long to figure up what all I (want/need) and how much it would cost to get it seperately. I already had upgraded some bolts with hex heads, but it was a tight fit in places like the stator cover. I could have probably saved a couple bucks. But, I figured a 65 piece matching set for $20, with premachined stator bolts, was a decent price and now I have spares.

I realized when on the KOR site checking out the alignment pins, that he has stainless bolts, and all of the oem parts that need replaced, once you take them off. (Folding lockwashers, snaprings, alignment pins, gaskets, etc.)
If you need oem blaster parts, particularly engine related parts, Ken has them all together and easy to find on his website, no need to wade through exploded views. He also has the aftermarket parts an pieces, that we need to make the blaster better or easier to work on (stainless bolts, forged piston kits, etc).

Back to the kit, I will update as I go, and let everyone know, how well the bolts and their stainless properties hold up.
I am not sure if stainless tends to be soft or brittle but if the quality of these ones is not good I guess I will find out.

Just wanted to update on this bolt kit, it includes steel washers (use the stock copper) for the top of the head , and uses 13mm nuts for both the head and base studs. 13mm on a japanese bike what were they thinking, I don't even have a 13 socket or wrench on my carry along bag. Other than that they are fine all the threads and heads are well cut, I had no issues with crossthreading, or poor fitment.

I got that kit and it came with stator bolts that were butchered in a lathe!
I will try to find you pic of the ones i got!

Last edited:
Looks like they weren't chucked in tight enough or more likely someone got in a hurry and tried to take too big of a bite when cutting down the larger diameter heads.
Mine were still tight( thanks to the blue thread lock) and had been turned down far enough to clear the flywheel. I will see if I can grab a pic before I slap the covers back on.

It sucksr that you got a chewed up set, must have been made on a Monday, studies show Monday and some what Friday after lunch are the days the majority of big defects occur, it has been shown to be this way across automotive assembly lines, various manufacturing facilities, even at the local restaurant. I will try to find the article, it was an example story in one of my wife's business management books.

Reactions: Meyers
I used one of these sets recently, and I didn't use the stator bolts that came with it either. I remembered Doug having problems, and just reused the OEM's.

Other than that, It was a good complete set.