Snot.

Blaaster

Staff member
Technician
Jul 18, 2011
eastern australia
Just before I pulled the carby off for the routine leak test and reed inspection I took the Blaster for a quick squirt around our little track.

It was running well but then all of a sudden the motor would hesitate and then take off like scalded cat.

This happened a few times, then all was well for a lap or two then it happened once more, so off to the workshop.

Off came the carby, and when inspecting the bottom of the float bowl there were little globs of stuff that looked like snot sticking to the bottom.

I can only assume that it was the Castrol R30 oil that I use coming out of suspension and collecting in the bottom of the carby bowl.

It must have been getting picked up by the pilot and main jet partially blocking them until it got sucked through.

I usually drain the fuel out of the carby if I leave it for more than a few weeks without being started, but the last time it was parked I forgot to drain it and the float bowl was left full.

I always mix up a fresh batch of fuel for each ride, and drain the tank, and use the old fuel in one of my mowers, so I know that the fuel in the tank was not a fault.

Has anyone else who runs bean oil had this problem before, or am I the only idiot that forgets to drain the float bowl if the bike is to be left unridden for a while?:-[

white goo...usually a sign of water in the fuel/oil

Happened me, bike was parked up for a few weeks and i took it out. My problem was my foam filter wasnt oiled so the water came in the airbox and through the in take(i think lol ). The filter was soaked

Just before I pulled the carby off for the routine leak test and reed inspection I took the Blaster for a quick squirt around our little track.

It was running well but then all of a sudden the motor would hesitate and then take off like scalded cat.

This happened a few times, then all was well for a lap or two then it happened once more, so off to the workshop.

Off came the carby, and when inspecting the bottom of the float bowl there were little globs of stuff that looked like snot sticking to the bottom.

I can only assume that it was the Castrol R30 oil that I use coming out of suspension and collecting in the bottom of the carby bowl.

It must have been getting picked up by the pilot and main jet partially blocking them until it got sucked through.

I usually drain the fuel out of the carby if I leave it for more than a few weeks without being started, but the last time it was parked I forgot to drain it and the float bowl was left full.

I always mix up a fresh batch of fuel for each ride, and drain the tank, and use the old fuel in one of my mowers, so I know that the fuel in the tank was not a fault.

Has anyone else who runs bean oil had this problem before, or am I the only idiot that forgets to drain the float bowl if the bike is to be left unridden for a while?:-[

When i ran klotz techniplate and the qaud sat for a few weeks , never had an issue with snot! I also don't drain my carbs/tank until winter season when I don't ride. I too use old gas for mowing/snow blowing!

Guess that's one drawback of bean oil, it settles out. Another is it's hydroscopic (attracts water), and isn't useable below about 40* F, had it been very cold there?

Wish I could get R30 here, dang tree huggers.X(

Don't know how your gas is there, but here it goes bad very quickly. A friend had to comepletely clean his daughters 4joke carb after 3 mounths of sitting.

Guess that's one drawback of bean oil, it settles out. Another is it's hydroscopic (attracts water), and isn't useable below about 40* F, had it been very cold there?

Wish I could get R30 here, dang tree huggers.X(

Don't know how your gas is there, but here it goes bad very quickly. A friend had to comepletely clean his daughters 4joke carb after 3 mounths of sitting.

Our gas is not so bad here, my lad was given a fuel injected Camry, it had been sitting for 3 years and fired up with only a few revs of the motor.

I have seen fuel contaminated with water, but this snot was clear and its shape was irregular and in varying sizes.

The air temps here are in the high 90s as it is midsummer and it had not rained for at least 6 weeks.

I have been using bean oil for over 50 years, and I thought that I was familiar with most of the problems that it can cause.

I am very experienced with oil coming out of suspension, my days with 2 strokes started with mixing plain old 4 stroke engine oil and having to shake the crap out of the bike every morning to mix up the fuel in the tank.

This snot did not resemble oil, it was like a child had been picking nose and rolling up little boogers, and then breaking them up into little bits.

Maybee something sneaked past the fuel strainer on its way into the tank.

After the cleaning and leak test the bike again runs fine.

I don't ride in the rain and I never take the bike swimming, after all I am of English descent! ....... I don't do water! :eek:

i ran bean oil and that hasent happened to me....but i do get snot on the bottom of carbs for snow blowers and such all the time

Just remembering that I found a container with a enough 927 to make up a gallon and poured it in with the R30 mix, maybe, just maybe they are not compatible.

I know from experience that mineral oils and bean oils do not like each other, but I was sure that bean oil blends were ok.

Food for thought!

There are compatibility problems with mixing types of 2 stroke oils, one should never mix them.
Most of the time you get away with it, but every so often I have had a near immediate plug foul.
One oil or component dropping out of suspension could possibly be the reason.

Solubility in fuel can be impacted by temperature, water, alcohol, additives or other chemicals in the fuel.
Castor oil is known to be more sensitive to these things than petroleum or synthetic based oils.

Fuel is changing. Here in Canada it seems we have a low volatile base with an ether-like additive.
Once the ether fumes off, the fuel is actually very hard to ignite. Fuel can go bad in as little as 3 months.
Old fuel turns yellow and has a sour, varsol like smell. I was able to douse lit matches in a cup of 2 yr old bad fuel.
This fuel still seems to respond to "fuel stabilizer" and doesn't build up tar deposits like in previous times.
Changing fuel formulations may account for the newfound snotty discovery?

Steve

I know what you refer to Steve, I do not usually mix oils, I even go to the extreme in flushing out the crancase of motors that I change oils on.

I always get my fuel from the same station, one that I trust will give me clean fuel.

It was a case of throwing the maybe incompatable oil into the mix or not ride that day, and I may add that I am old enough to know better, but after all it was only a little drop.

I am always sounding of at the young ones that say "I just wanna ride", this time I slipped up.

I learnt my lesson in a good way as it caused me no problems as routine maintainence was around the corner.

Believe me when I say "it ain't going to happen again", tank is drained, motor is flushed, and my lad has been given lecture number 2003009, so that he don't make the same mistake.

Ha!
I have to admit that even tho I say "one should never mix them", I have done it plenty.
Get away with it often, but have had it die from a foul shortly after several times over the years.

Steve