Slow gas leak

IGottaPee

Jan 18, 2011
Clemson, SC
Well i have a bit of a gas leak, it's not too bad. It leaks about a gallon a week but i checked the floats (they're empty), i replaced the petcock seals, even with the petcock switched off a little bit of gas is dripping, but shouldn't the gas in the bowl keep it from overflowing out the overfill lines.

Your saying it's leaking from the carb overflow? If so, it may be time to replace the float needle .They may be starting to dry up and harden.

Could be a little bit of crap up in the needle and seat assembly.

Do a good clean and set the float level.

If it still leaks you may be able to lap the needle into the seat with toothpaste if it is a brass needle.

If all else fails, a new one is not going to hurt the pocket much.

yes the petcock can be bad/leaking internally

and watch ordering a new float valve from a dealer, they wanted $50/60 for one.
but one is included in the moose carb rebuild kit...for $12+ship on ebay ????

is there any way it could just be that the petcock is letting a little gas through? I'll do a carb clean tonight.

The petcock could be leaking, but fuel should not drip from the carby.

The float should raise putting pressure on the needle, therefore stopping the flow of fuel.

The more fuel in the bowl, the more force excerted on the needle, and the fuel should stop flowing.

If the float level is correct, not leaking or sticking, and the needle and seat assembly is working correctly, the fuel shoul stop flowing.

^^^^ Yep, worn out or dirty needle & seat or an improper float height will lead to overflow.

My floats like to stick from time to time, so I just give the carb bowl a few taps with a screwdriver handle and it stops. Now that I switched from Yamalube to Motul pre-mix, I don't seem to have as much sticking.

If the petcock continues to leak in the off position, take it apart, clean it, and reassemble....this worked for me. You can also buy new petcocks or rebuild kits on ebay.

Ok, so it should just be the float needle? If there is nothing wrong with the needle should i replace it anyway or just clean it?

If the passage is clear of dirt and rubbish, there maybe a build up of varnish in the seat.

This varnish can be removed by putting some toothpaste or jewlellers rouge on a cotton bud (cotton wool on a stick) and revolving it up on the seat.

If the needle is brass one can clean it up in the same way using a wad of denim and toothpaste.

If the needle is rubber tipped and is in good condition it should stop the fuel flow.

If the needle is rubber and shows any signs of wear or deteriation it should be replaced.

Also checks for any signs of wear where the float pivots, this can cause sticking.

Check that the float runs free in the bowl and is not rubbing the sides of the bowl.

With the petcock on, no fuel should leak from the carby, if it does there is something amiss.