Shifting Issue

Jan 18, 2017
Maine
My 2003 Blaster is up and running great, smooth and everything. Seemed perfect until a test drive down the road, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift nice and smooth, but it won't click into 4th. Literally the shifting lever will not move into 4th, like it's in 6th. No idea what is going on. Thinking there might be something binding up the gears or the 2nd or 3rd shifting fork is bent, that seems to be a common issue. Any ideas? Thanks.

Check the shift shaft adjustment. The eccentric screw will get worn out or come loose and cause it to do that.

If it's not that, grab a beer, your clymers and crack open the cases.

The shift lever is nice and tight, so guess we'll have to take a dive into the case. My father thinks it's the forks, which I do too, the way it's acting that just makes the most sense. I'll probably start tomorrow at some point, summer's coming around soon so gotta get 'im up and running soon lol.

Did this happen suddenly, or gradually?

When in neutral, and you drop it into 1st, does it jump forward?

When in 1st holding the clutch, if you rev it does it creep forward?

Drain the tranny oil. Pour some into a plastic bag and hold it in the sun. Any particles?

What kind of oil is being run?

My guess is you'll find the culprit once the case is open.

Well, we just got the bike a few months ago, this was the first startup and test run, before this issue the reed valve was missing a bolt and gaskets.
Nope, drives perfect until you hit 3rd and try to shift to 4th, acts like its the max gear and won't let you shift up any more.
Tranny didn't have any oil when we got it and we just put some new oil in it, so I could try that in a few days of running it unless we fix the issue before then lol
I'm not entirely sure, my father put the oil in, I wasn't paying attention, but he uses it in his Blaster and his runs like a top, other than chewing spark plugs XD
I'm sure we'll figure it out lol. I'm thinking it's the forks honestly. We gotta tear down the case anyway, it's leaking a bit of oil. Thanks for the input though. I'll be sure to update here if we figure it out lol.

check the oil drain plug, there was a case on here that an aftermarket magnetic drain plug was too long and interfering with the shift drum after 3rd gear.

I'd also look into the shift shaft pawl and shift star actions on the clutch side before opening the cases, the only way I know to diagnose/fix a bad shift pawl is to replace it.
jack up the ass-end and spin the wheels while checking shifting while the engine is off, the output shaft/sprocket will rotate what needs to be to shift smoothly

Reactions: speedyslyder
I'll check on that oil drain plug tomorrow. I don't think it's aftermarket but never know. Bike came with a full Pro Circuit racing exhaust so I'm sure there are other things aftermarket. The kid who put it together originally had no idea what he was doing either, so never know. Push comes to shove, I'll just fix all of it hahahaha.
I don't think its anything exterior to the internals but I'll check that regardless, never know. Thanks for the input man, appreciated!

EDIT: We did roll it when it was off and it had the same problem, it'd go into first, second, third, then stop. Like it was in max gear. We'll try all of that stuff though, who knows what the problem is hahaha.

Last edited:
Awk you're a genius man. It was the oil plug, same aftermarket magnetic one you were talking about. We actually used it, just put a thicker rubber seal to shorten it a bit, works fine now. Buuut unfortunately we opened the case to find the source of the oil leak, got a big chunk of the aluminum case snapped right off. It's fixable, we're gonna permatex it, did it on my old Moto-4 and it still runs fine, but I'mma keep my eyes open for a second hand case. Hopefully that's all that is wrong with it, kinda pissed off, when we got it, it was supposed to only need carb work, turns out the carb was completely fine, but it had all these other damn problems. Guess that's what I get for buying second hand and trusting people's words lol.

... unfortunately we opened the case to find the source of the oil leak, got a big chunk of the aluminum case snapped right off. It's fixable, we're gonna permatex it, did it on my old Moto-4 and it still runs fine, but I'mma keep my eyes open for a second hand case. ...

By Permatex I'm guessing you mean their epoxy? They make a ton of products.

My son did this repair about 5 years ago and it is holding up fine:
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/jb-welding-holes.45887/#post-575699

It's like Permatex magic black or something like that, its rubber glue basically but it hardens almost rock hard. Like I said we did it on my old Moto-4 and it's held for 6 or 7 years so I think it'll hold. But a second hand case is like 20-40 bucks on Ebay so I'll do that later on anyway hahaha. It's a simple fix really, just pissed that I have to do it in the first place. But that's good to hear it's a reliable product, nice to have a second case of good outcomes other than my own hahaha.

Sounds like you're talking about the clutch cover for $20-40, not the center case halve ?

It's like Permatex magic black or something like that, its rubber glue basically but it hardens almost rock hard. Like I said we did it on my old Moto-4 and it's held for 6 or 7 years so I think it'll hold. But a second hand case is like 20-40 bucks on Ebay so I'll do that later on anyway hahaha. It's a simple fix really, just pissed that I have to do it in the first place. But that's good to hear it's a reliable product, nice to have a second case of good outcomes other than my own hahaha.

We used acetone, JB Weld and fiberglass mesh.

Heres what broke, little piece of aluminum. We sealed it up with gas tank sealer and permatex. We shall see lol
IMG_20170428_202028_748.jpg

i cant tell from your pic but that is the oil injection system...
for the 2-stroke oil pre-mix which is obviously deleted lol

i cant tell from your pic but that is the oil injection system...
for the 2-stroke oil pre-mix which is obviously deleted lol
Its right beside the oil injection, you can see gears through the hole. We patched it up though, two days and we'll see if it holds haha. And yeah the oil injection is off, we manually pre-mix haha, don't need the bike blowing up mid ride hahaha