Shattered skirt: what's the best lower flush?

calholli

Oct 16, 2009
Enid, Ok
My piston snapped a ring in the front (exaust) and had some ugly gouges... cylinder was fine... I swapped the piston with one from a spare motor I have, but its cylinder was pretty rusty, so I swapped the piston ONLY... it did go together easier than normal, but I didn't think nothing of it at the time. (thinking they were both stock size, obviously they weren't)... ......... it ran for maybe 2 mins, with sparatic response and then locked... ..... I took top end off and the skirt was shattered all the way around the piston, (implying that the piston was too small) ... I cleaned what I could throughly, and pulled the piece that was lodged between the rod and crank.. (unlocking the crank)... but I almost know there are still fragments that fell in the bottom of the case.... ............

question.. What is the best way to flush the crank case?? Can it be done well without splitting the motor???? any tips are welcome!!!

you best bet is to split it and take it all apart clean it good and toss it back together....do it right the first time

Better safe than sorry, split it. You already tried to short cut it and broke a piston. Split it and put bearings in it. IMO don't short cut cuz it will cost you more money in the long run.

Think of it like this, Take it apart fully, get it done correctly, or dont take apart and possibly ruin even more in the motor and then spend more money to fix it and get it done correctly.

at this point you could very well have sh*t stuck in the bearings in the bottom end, and if one of those goes south you're gonna need a new crank and have to do it anyway, you're way better off tearing it down and doing it the right way

i'd split it and replace the bearings and seals.. it's not tough at all... plus new crank bearings and seals are a good freshen up anyway