Removing old gasket material

zack221

May 15, 2009
What are some of the things you all do to clean the gasket surface and get the old gasket material off it? I split the crankcase and I am looking for some ideas on getting the yamabond off. I got a dremel but im afraid the bit I got will take to much off and cause a leak. Thanks in advance

the only way to get it off is to use a razor blade and carefully scrape it off. That is smart not to use a dremel. Its going to take time but just be careful and take your time to scrape the old gasket or yamabond off.

I use a scotchbrite pad to remove it... I have one that goes on a pad that I can put on my high speed wheel.. works wonderfully !

I dont like using razor blades or scrapers because if you are not careful you can gouge your surface plus it takes longer to get a perfect surface.

i use a flat file after a razor blade, and yes very carefully keeping it flat & multiple directions. takes nicks & scratches out without removing any material from the head. its my method & im sticking to it I:I

Thanks for the replies sorry I wasn't on here I had a race saturday and practice yesterday so I wasn't home. I will try some of these methods maybe im just lazy lol and was hoping to find a real easy way

Lol well its probably a good thing that I dont like half doing anything either so I always make sure its clean before a new gasket goes on so it doesn't leak. I just wanted to hear some other ideas from other people on how they do it

I put aircraft remover on it or brake parts cleaner and it makes the gasket come off much easier then use a razor blade to scrape it off