Rear shock drained itself?

supastar2

Nov 14, 2012
UK
Hello, I am new to this site & appreciate having a forum like this. I last took out my 2001 Blaster in the snowstorm the other night in NJ. I returned it to my garage, lost power in house & left for a couple of days. When I returned there was a good amount of what looked & felt like oil under the rear shock. I have one of those spring covers on it & it looked like it came out from bottom of it. I put some paper towels in differant locations to see if I can spot where the leak is coming from to no avail. I think it has fully finished draining. I cannot find a leak & shocks look original. Can a shock have that much fluid in it basically is the question?

Thanks-

It is possible for a seal to leak and the oil drain out.

Some shocks use quite a lot of oil, they work by passing oil through restricted passageways, some are buffered by nitrogen gas.

Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to replace the shock for $20 & clean the carb & replace the needle. Simple & cheap fix. I always turn my valve off when I am done riding too. Which has me stumped. Maybe an inline vaslve also?