Port and Polish?

02blueblaster

Sep 6, 2008
does anyone know of an easy DIY for doing your own P&P?..for practice i have a RC car nitro engine and a pocket rocket motor

any ideas?

its not for my quad
its for my pocket rocket, and honestly i dont care if i mess that up..so i was just wondering

smooth out and blend any casting flaws or eddies that would impede flow ,thats about the safest ,best advise i could give you without having it in my hands

i have a couple spare motors laying around, from older three wheelers and old quads i was thinbking about tying to learn porting also, i also have a new dremmel..what attachments for the dremmel will i be needing to do this?

haha i dont care cuz that helps me out too..lol..but yea, i have a few 2 stroke motors layin around, like old chainsaws that need to be fixed, but run...so i know i need a dremel, and i heard that if i do the intake port to leave it a bit rough, and to give the exhaust a mirror finish?..am i right?..

lol..not trying to take over the thread biotch !, just thought it was relevant to blueblasters original question !!! maybe flotek will check back in on this one and give us more advice

lol.that would be sweet.........
but thats not teaching you how to do it and you wont be learning anything that way..I had my blaster engine ported by someone else..now i wanna work with someone,watch and learn from them. so i can do it myself.
thanx for starting this post blue blaster, hopefully we can get good tips here.

There are many places you can get do it your self porting tips from on the web also there are templates that you can buy to trace out a port job, But it all boils down to having the basic knowledge of how the engine actually works, what changes what in the air flow, how to use the tools, the patience to be a perfectionist. You mentioned that you had a spare cylinder good start, I would not recomend doing the one on your bike lol for your first. also good porting tools can be very expencive. just fyi

eh, maybe i can just send the 49cc out and see how i like it..i want the fastest pocket bike on the block..lol

i agree with flotek to start. just fixing casting flaws can net some decent gains sometimes.

porting a 2 stroke is like changing the cams on a 4 stroke. altering the size of the ports changes the engine dynamics. as a general rule, an exhaust port with shorter duration is better for bottom end while a longer duration is better for high end. i'd try bringing the top of the exhaust port up some to make the top end scream :) if you know trig, you can figure out durations, i'd go with about 190 or 195 degree exhaust duration. you could send me the measurements if you want and i might just get bored and figure it out for u. but u need to know stroke and rod length, which may be hard to find for that thing.

start reading there is some info on here, i made a post in the engine forum called something like attn: mechanics, porting info, and there is a stickie in the engine forum with porting pictures. have fun with it, i know i did when i did my cylinder. and i'm glad your not afraid to ruin it lol, cause you just might.

depends on if ur doing steel or aluminum, but i'm pretty sure that pocket rocket's gonna be aluminum. your gonna need a barrel sander and something to polish with. there are bits that are like a wool type of thing with some kind of compound on them, or you could do like i did and use the cotton cylinder and get some polishing compound. read up on head mods too, you can get some good gains with that route. one time i simply took my head off and polished the squish band and combustion chamber and it made a huge difference. i was impressed.

with that said, my cylinder and head is on the way to kennedy powersports to get bored, professionally ported, and headwork done to see how much better a professional can do compared to a hick with a dremel.

oh, and most of all, when you get it back together, put up a post with what you did and how it changed the powerband. before and after pics and videos of it running are always a plus. pm me when you get one up i definately want to see this.

i agree with flotek to start. just fixing casting flaws can net some decent gains sometimes.

porting a 2 stroke is like changing the cams on a 4 stroke. altering the size of the ports changes the engine dynamics. as a general rule, an exhaust port with shorter duration is better for bottom end while a longer duration is better for high end. i'd try bringing the top of the exhaust port up some to make the top end scream :) if you know trig, you can figure out durations, i'd go with about 190 or 195 degree exhaust duration. you could send me the measurements if you want and i might just get bored and figure it out for u. but u need to know stroke and rod length, which may be hard to find for that thing.

start reading there is some info on here, i made a post in the engine forum called something like attn: mechanics, porting info, and there is a stickie in the engine forum with porting pictures. have fun with it, i know i did when i did my cylinder. and i'm glad your not afraid to ruin it lol, cause you just might.

depends on if ur doing steel or aluminum, but i'm pretty sure that pocket rocket's gonna be aluminum. your gonna need a barrel sander and something to polish with. there are bits that are like a wool type of thing with some kind of compound on them, or you could do like i did and use the cotton cylinder and get some polishing compound. read up on head mods too, you can get some good gains with that route. one time i simply took my head off and polished the squish band and combustion chamber and it made a huge difference. i was impressed.

with that said, my cylinder and head is on the way to kennedy powersports to get bored, professionally ported, and headwork done to see how much better a professional can do compared to a hick with a dremel.

oh, and most of all, when you get it back together, put up a post with what you did and how it changed the powerband. before and after pics and videos of it running are always a plus. pm me when you get one up i definately want to see this.
rep point.. bitchin post

eh, i might just save the money for my blasty..a little more important..ya know?..
i might get it ported by flotek and get a used fmf setup ..when i get it ported will i need to rejet?

wen i get a chance i can post the pics i have of my stock cylinderr next to my ported and u can see the dif. and get ideas. dont have access to my computer though might be a few days.

well..i think im just gonna get new sprockets and a chain for my blaster and new nerfs, and spend the rest on my pocket bike

i have a couple spare motors laying around, from older three wheelers and old quads i was thinbking about tying to learn porting also, i also have a new dremmel..what attachments for the dremmel will i be needing to do this?
I wouldn't suggest using a Dremel. I have a 400XRP Dremel, thats the biggest one that dermel made at the time. It may still be I'm not sure. I tried to clean up my stock 195cc jug and it took forever just to clean it up. they just dont have the power and rpms to do the job. If you really want to try it get a pnumatic die grinder, look for something in the 60-70k rpm range. And remember that you need the right stones so they dont fly apart with the high rpms.