On or off?

Sorry for restarting a fairly old thread, but I don't think I need to make a new one for this question. Is it bad to not rejet if you remove the airbox lid? I understand that more air=leaner, but would that affect it all that much? I would think that it would only increase the intake by a little bit, because the air is being bottlenecked from the throat of the intake instead of the small neck on the lid

I would think that it would only increase the intake by a little bit,

exactly why you'll probably need to bump your main jet up 1-2 sizes....to compensate for that
"little bit"

This is what my piston looked like after taking the airbox lid off and not re-jetting

DSC02365.jpg

DSC02364.jpg

DSC02359.jpg

I have been thinking that my engine is running a little on the rich side because of the amount of smoke coming from the silencer. Would that little bit compensate for it, or will it be too much? How do I really know if it is too rich/lean/correctly tuned? I'm usually running anywhere from 675 ft.-1150 ft. elevation. I'm pretty sure that I have stock jetting

2012-04-21175209.jpg

mine was for many reasons, airbox lid off, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket airfilter without rejetting.

its a new vs. old.

if you dont rejet your in for a 200 dollar rebuild!