OKO 30mm Help

Agro2424

Aug 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I recently bought a 30mm OKO after I decided to tear my engine down and do a build. I've been reading A LOT about this carb and have a good idea of where to start, but I've got a couple of questions still and want to get a second opinion on starting points. Most of my riding is done between about 1000 and 2500 feet.
When I get everything back together, my engine will look like this:
f7 exhaust
+3 Vito's
+3 Timing
Trail port and redesigned head running 93 octane
Bored .020
Boyesen Pro Series
Open Airbox with UNI

So with all this I think my main should be around 162 and pilot around 52 going from others' setups. Does this sound like a good starting point?
I'm not sure about the needle. Suggestions?

I've also read about the chrome problem on the slide. Can I go ahead and strip it before it chips off and ruins my newly rebuilt engine?

Thanks for any help guys. I know these questions are annoying, but I've done so much reading and searching that I'm about to go crazy. I read through Blaner's threads but I don't want to rely on that much since South Africa isn't quite the same as the hills of Tennessee. :D

Them jet sizes should be safe to do a plug chop with. I would start out with the needle in the middle and tune from there. As for the chrome, just keep an eye on the slide. I didn't have that problem with the one I had.

ha! correct, SA air id full of hot air from politicians. But seriously, global O2 concentrations are pretty consistent, however being in the US, chances are you have more pollutants :)

but really seriously, a 162 sounds good. 52 pilot also sounds good. BUT this is exactly what I thought before I started. I didnt take into account the "OKO FACTOR" thta carb has messed me around to no end. Im still not happy with the bottom to mid range. but at least ive ironed out the bog.

My stock OKO needle didnt work at all. Currently im using the Mikuni Banshee needle on the mid clip. wierd hey??

go for it and give it a try. I wish you better luck than I have had with this carb

It was cold (20s) but I was pretty close to right on with a 52 pilot and a 168 main. I think I'll be about 162 all said and done when it warms up a bit. I'm also around 500ft above sea level

I have pretty much the same mods, minus the stroker crank

It was cold (20s) but I was pretty close to right on with a 52 pilot and a 168 main. I think I'll be about 162 all said and done when it warms up a bit. I'm also around 500ft above sea level

I have pretty much the same mods, minus the stroker crank

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll probably buy a small kit of mains and pilots and see where I can get with the stock needle.

I think you should start where brando is at, may be a tad rich but better to be safe than sorry!

Follow this to jetting perfection- http://www.keihin-us.com/am/_media/pdf/slide_valve.pdf