oil levels on an 89 blaster

J

jonboy

hi ya'll i recently purchased an 89 blaster and saw that the site hole showed no oil, i can turn the gears and tell that there is oil in there though. if i put enough in the crankcase to see oil in the site hole it smokes horribly and has no power. could anyone tell me what is up with this?

yeah its white. it kinda acts like there is too much oil in it. after the oil is gone from the site hole, it runs like a top.

just some castrol atv oil from oreillys but the guy
said that it should work just fine for what i needed. what are your suggestions?

Sounds like a bad crank seal. Would explain why it runs bad while there is oil in it. When it has oil, its leaking into the cylinder and burning it, probably why its running like crap. When there is no oil, then its not trying to burn all that extra oil.

how would you explain the oil on the gears when you turn over the motor then? i mean i ran the piss out of it this weekend and no problems.

Well even if you burn some of it off, there will still be enough residue so that it appears that there is oil if your looking through the fill hole.

well i just took off the oil cap and looked on the gears as i turned over the kick shift. it looked like it was plenty lubricated, that is why is way throwing me for a loop.

Well even if it is leaking some into the cylinder it would take a while to leak it all. Try draining all the oil then put in about 2/3 of a quart. That way you know you have the right amount of oil anyway. Have you been adding oil right after you ran it? Cause if you check it right after it has been running, then it will look empty cause its spread all over the eyeglass.

you know how much it would run at a shop to get that done then? ever needed to do it?

Depending on how much an hour they charge. It cost me 250 when i had mine split to change the left side of the case though. It should be lses than that though cause your having less done.

alright, right on man, thanks for the help on it, hope its just an overfill problem:) i'll figure it out soon enough.