Noob - Here for ideas/help for my sons Blaster

B

bbjohn74

Hey all,

As it says, I am a newbie here. My son just got a '91 Blaster from his mom for his good grades. Problem is, she didn't look it over very well. He rode it for about 3 weeks and it's dead now. I brought it to my house, checked it out, there is no compression at all. Took the head and cylinder off and the skirt on one side of the piston is gone, bottom end was filled with gas, not pretty. Took the head to a machine shop to check on boring it, found 2 cracks in it.

SO, if anyone knows where I can find a good cylinder, I would appreciate the info on where it is. I have thought about the 240 Big Bore kit, but not quite sure he is ready for it yet. I told him about it and he's not sure either. But he does fine on a Honda 400 EX, he's just not "adventurous" with it yet. I think he would like it, but if I could start with a smaller bore, I could always build up to more power as he goes.

Glad I found this place, looks like there is alot of good info and people here !!!

Thanks,
John R

you can always get a big bore kit now then wait to get the correct pipe so it wont have as much power

I know this is just the introduction area, but I have a few questions that you guys have already got me started on here. I'll go ahead and put them here and see what happens.

I'm obviously trying to find a replacement cylinder, hopefully I can find a decent that I am sure will need a good bore, so it will not be stock at that part. It already has an FMF full pipe and I assume a stock carb. Pretty sure eveything else is stock there.

I was thinking about getting rid fo the airbox and going with a breather cap and cover. Set of reeds and maybe a reed spacer ? I will definately clean up the head and cylinder myself (yes, I am not scared and I have the tools. I do play around with cars and yes I know it's a little different).

These are just ideas I have in my head and from looking around on the site here. Any suggestions ? I am one of those poeple that will try to do it myself before I drop cash on expensive upgrades, seems that you have more respect for things that way.

Is there a reason for keeping the air box ? Too much air, even for something mild or for enviromental issues such as dirt, mud, water ?

Ive got a couple extra cylinders. They don't look good cause they are rusted and scratched up, but they just need to be bored a size over. They don't have any cracks or any sh*t like that either.

flyers - that would be awesome, how much do you want for one of your cylinders shipped to 73139 ? I have found piston & ring kits reasonably priced. All the cylinders I have found on e-bay are a little expensive right now especially at Christmas time for an unexpected expense.

jet kit is a scam go to your local stealership for jet they are inexpensive like 3$ each and for filter go k&n if you stay on dry land or uni-filter for allaround

YES NO1 SAID MY SPECIAL THING THAT I ALWAYS SAY!!!!!

GET SOME VFORCE 3 REEDS FOR IT, BECAUSE THE STOCK REEDS SUCK - THEY ARE GLASS AND MADE BY OEM, AND THEY ARE KNOWN TO CRACK

VFORCE 3 REEDS ARE 3 REEDS IN STEAD OF THE 2 OEM REEDS AND THEY ARE CARBON FIBER REEDS THAT DONT CRACK AS EASILY!!!!!

and yeah..jet kit is bullshit lmao..

I prefer a K&N airfilter -- and 1 thing....

"DONT USE AUTOMOTIVE OIL IN YOUR TRANNY BECAUSE IT CONTAINS MODIFIERS THAT BURN THE f*ck OUT OF YOUR CLUTCH"

hehehe....go yamalube4 tranny oil

so after all this is done! god luck to you!

If you lost the skirt of the piston I'd recommend that you inspect the case halves for cracks. The down side of this is that the cases need to be split to do it correctly. We have seen blasters come thru our shop that have fallen prey to pistons before, the owner bores it and then wonders why it has seized shortly after.

A cracked case is the answer every time.

If we can be of any assistance please pm me and we'll be glad to help.

If you lost the skirt of the piston I'd recommend that you inspect the case halves for cracks. The down side of this is that the cases need to be split to do it correctly. We have seen blasters come thru our shop that have fallen prey to pistons before, the owner bores it and then wonders why it has seized shortly after.

A cracked case is the answer every time.

If we can be of any assistance please pm me and we'll be glad to help.

i agree big time!!!

Howdy!!

Welcome!! If that's a pic of the Blaster in your avatar, forget the big bore. That much rubber under that much power on any surface that it hooks up on and you'll be on your back. There's a cat on Ebay that you ship your cyl to and he hones it out and sends it back with a piston rings, etc. for about $150.

You have a big problem to look at also. If you did drop the skirt and had gas in the tranny, you have a cracked case. Now if the gas remained in the crank area you are good. That whole cavity the crank is in is the "intake" any breech in there and you are done. You also can't get a good look in it without splitting the case. I would measure out a certain amount of gas or oil and fill that area, let it sit over night and check the level. If it's full, yay!! If not, bust out the impact screw driver to get it apart or scrap it and buy another. Just went through the same thing.

Luck!!

A

Thanks all.

When I pulled the cylinder off, the engine case was full of gas and oil (more gas than oil). I haven't checked the tranny as of yet or are they all together ?? I drained everything out of the case through the plug at the bottom but there was still some gas and oil at the top of the case. I haven't even had time to get back to working on it yet since I have pulled the cylinder off. I may try to get some pics of it tonight and post 'em up here. I figured I would have to pull the cover off of the lower case and find the rest of the piston before I tried to fire it up again.

And no, the picutre in the avatar is not one of ours, it was a picture my son found and thought it was a cool looking ride. Not quite something for me though.