no spark

John

Mar 2, 2010
Have a 92 blaster with an engine from a 88. Yesterday it was running, but the idle was acting up. I took the twist throttle and carb from the 88 today, removed the tors carb, thumb throttle and unplugged tors box, now I have no spark. I need help, supposed to ride tomorrow!
John in Vegas

Well start with the easy stuff. I would do the following in this order. Check for spark after each step.....

Put in a new spark plug
Unplug the run/stop/light switch
Unscrew the spark plug cap from the coil wire and cut a 1/4 inch off the wire. Then thread the cap on.
Make sure all connections are clean and tight especially grounds (located at voltage regulator and coil mount)
If key is deleted make sure wires are not touching
If possible try a stator from another bike

If none of that gives you spark you are going to have to break out the voltmeter and refer to the ignition troubleshooting section in the manual.

Whatever you do DO NOT buy a cheap eBay stator. If you spend less than $50 on a new stator chances are it won't work and you have wasted your money. NO RM STATORS!

Well start with the easy stuff. I would do the following in this order. Check for spark after each step.....

Put in a new spark plug
Unplug the run/stop/light switch
Unscrew the spark plug cap from the coil wire and cut a 1/4 inch off the wire. Then thread the cap on.
Make sure all connections are clean and tight especially grounds (located at voltage regulator and coil mount)
If key is deleted make sure wires are not touching
If possible try a stator from another bike

If none of that gives you spark you are going to have to break out the voltmeter and refer to the ignition troubleshooting section in the manual.

Whatever you do DO NOT buy a cheap eBay stator. If you spend less than $50 on a new stator chances are it won't work and you have wasted your money. NO RM STATORS!

Thanks, turns out after removing all the tors junk, I needed to connect the 2 wires in the harness going to the carb.

Thanks again, john