New with a couple of questions

espguitarist91

Jun 18, 2008
Hey, I just got a 2001 Blaster. It seems to run fine so far. but today I rode it, not long, maybe 5 minutes. When I parked it in the garage, i came back later to a puddle of gas under it. I looked and noticed that there was a tube coming off the carb that was wet with fuel. it looks strange. It's not connected to anything, maybe looks like it broke or something. its the long tube in the pictures, and it just come to an end, though you can see it. there is another shorter tube coming off the carb that isn't connected to anything either. My friend has a 2000 blaster and his is the exact same. So my question is, are these tubes normal? And what would cause a temporary gas leak. i say temporary because it seemed to stop for now, I believe it happened shortly after I parked it. Sorry for the confusing post. i tried to search with no luck. Thanks for any help in advance.
carbcopy.jpg

carb2copy.jpg

carb3copy-1.jpg

those are your overflows, the end pieces are not supose to be connected, when your gas over flows, it will leak out of their.

Hmm ok, so it shouldn't really be anything to worry about, just the carb getting too much fuel for a little? There was a considerable amount of gas on the floor, and there wasn't a lot in the gas tank to start with.

Yea but still it shouldnt just leak out, does it bog down when you get on the throttle? It may be running to rich, getting too much gas and cant burn it so it goes out of the overflow tubes.

it doesn't bog down when at open throttle. Even in higher gears at slower speeds it still has some pick up. Tomorrow I'm going to take a look at it. I have the pilot air screw out 1 and a half turns. Would backing it out more lean the mixture at all? or just at idle?

The hose on the bottom is the over flow, it lets the gas out when there is to much in the float bowl, usually from the float sticking or a chunk of crud in the needle and seat.
the hoses (there is supposed to be one on BOTH sides of the carb) are the float bowl vents, they let the air out to let fuel in, if the bowl isn't vented fuel cant get in!, if you have fuel coming out of the side vents your bike is on it's side or your crank case is FULL! of gas.

Ok, sorry for the confusion. The gas only came out of the overflow. I was just making sure that those smaller hoses(float bowl vents) aren't broken or anything. So it looks like a carb cleaning would take care of this?

Probably. When you clean it even if it looks clean, it may have a small almost non visible piece of junk in the needle and seat (part connected to the moving float inside the bowl), but it can cause this. If you clean it, and it still leaks, your float may need to be adjusted, but it sounds like it stopped, so this is probably not the case. Clean it and let us know what happens.

Also, you could drive it some more, and see if it does it again. It could be a one time deal, but if it happens again, it needs to be cleaned or adjusted.

Ok, thanks for the help.
And i just realized I'm an idiot. I took the airbox lid cover off before i drove it. I'm guessing that could have something to do with it.
I'll probably clean the carb regardless, it can't hurt.

Definitely sounds like a sticking float. Pop it open and take it apart. I haven't had our Blaster carb open yet (we just got it today) but there is usually a hinge pin that holds the float on. The pin will slide out the end to remove the float so you can check it and clean it really good. When you reassemble the carb bowl will keep the pin from sliding out.

first things first, just try tapping the carb w/ a screwdriver handle or something. if it's just a hung up float, you might be able to free up whatever it's caught on.
if not you could try putting about 1/3 bottle of carb cleaner fuel treatment (i like chemtool or lucas) in the tank, but takin it apart and spraying the float valve out is the best way.
also, another thing to check is if the floats have any fuel INSIDE them. that would mean the floats are leaking and aren't moving up to close off fuel to the bowl.

Alright thanks for all the help. I've been riding it a little and it hasn't been doing it again. I will definitely put fuel treatment in though, it doesn't seem to be a big problem.