New (to me) 02 blaster troubleshooting ?'s

eodbrad

Mar 3, 2010
Hey everyone...great forum great info!

02 blaster, with what looks to be a pro circuit exhaust and silencer are the only mods i can see. running 100oct fuel. new plug+wire

It had trouble early on with smooth throttle response, so i cleaned up the carb and that helped but didn't resolve the issues. it was still choppy. while out riding i was running in 5th, downshifted and it seemed to over'rev and it died. didn't cut off...just quit like it was starved of fuel. tried to start it...it took many kicks but it started up again. It ran decent then did the same thing...i was running in 4th..half throttle just cruising and it died like it was fuel starved. tried to kick start..and had a really hard time pushing. it eventually broke free but called it quits. haven't tried since. my friend says the rings may have siezed briefly.

new parts to be installed (tomorrow):
new piston+rings+gasket
new jet (260) do i need to rejet that large for premix gas?
oil block off kit
vforce 3 reeds

what might have been the problem. i've been thinking the TORS acted up..and so i'm going to do away with it as well. i don't have the parts yet..but the elimiation kit is in the mail. anything i might be missing? thanks in advance for the advice!!

you may need to go down a clip on the needle. sounds like you're running lean

remember lean is mean!!!!!

tried to kick start..and had a really hard time pushing. it eventually broke free but called it quits. haven't tried since. my friend says the rings may have siezed briefly.

sounds like you hot seised it... your best bet right now is to pull the head off and see if you damaged the rings, and/ or scorred the piston/ cylinder wall... hot seise happens from one or both of two things

pounding it NON stop with no cool down time... or impropper jetting.. i.e. to lean..

not sure on the current jet...going to open it up tomorrow and see what i see. bought a polisher/hone just incase i see scoring. i'm new to all of this and not 'sure' what to look for but i assume if there's cylinder damage i'll notice. i've learned a bit by reading though.

lean would mean to little fuel correct?

Right on...thanks for the advice.

I will know more when i open it up, but at least i have a 260 main jet. i'll toy with the needle? i haven't looked but there are notches i can set the needle at?

hopefully no scoring, otherwise i'll have to order a diff size piston. i've thought about shaving the head...but i think i'll enjoy mine for awhile with just the new piston and the reed change.

260 jet going in...with the exhaust + Mix gas will be good? it looks like i need to find a place to order a variety of jets. :) are all jets threaded the same..ie if i buy a jet set from 230-320 i won't have issues with putting it into the stock carb.

just get mikuni jets and you should be set. and yes, the needle has a little clip on it, putting the clip closer to the top is leaner, to the bottom is richer

Right on...thanks for the advice.

I will know more when i open it up, but at least i have a 260 main jet. i'll toy with the needle? i haven't looked but there are notches i can set the needle at?

hopefully no scoring, otherwise i'll have to order a diff size piston. i've thought about shaving the head...but i think i'll enjoy mine for awhile with just the new piston and the reed change.

260 jet going in...with the exhaust + Mix gas will be good? it looks like i need to find a place to order a variety of jets. :) are all jets threaded the same..ie if i buy a jet set from 230-320 i won't have issues with putting it into the stock carb.

for jets.. you may need more than a 260.. with no air box lid, and a fmf exhaust i needed a 280 on mine...

if you have a atv dealer locally you can go there and get jets, at my stealer ship jets are about 3.50 each.. get a 270-280-290 and a 300... that will cover you. shouldnt need to change the pilot jet, but if you do you only need to go up one size..

IF your cyl wall is scored you may be axle to get away with a hone and rings if there is no damage to the piston, or no deep scratches is the cyl wall

fixing to open the head up...and i noticed a lil oil spot under the quad. looks like it's leaking from where the shift lever goes into the housing. might i need a new seal there? i believe i have one on order...but have to wait (tuesday i think) i'm really starting to consider just a full tear down and rebuild just for my own peace of mind. I degreased and washed the engine last week, so this lil bit of 'ooze' is definitely fresh.

I've never done something like this before....so it will surely be a learning curve.

SDC10255.jpg

Last edited: