New to 2 stroke and blasters. Getting a project bike

Blakews2217

Aug 1, 2016
so I'm trading my small boat for a smaller boat and a 2000 blaster 200 and when I went to test ride it it had low- no compression. I talked things out with my dad as I'm only 17 and we bolth think reeds or rings. I'm hoping rings as its cheeper for me. Also the guy I'm trading with said the PO boared it to a 230. When we got the bike to pop and buck it's so low on power that it slowly stalls trying to move itself with me ( 215 @6'1). Iv had more 4 strokes apart than I can count. Never had a 2 stroke but it looks more simple. Also. When I say no compression when we were trying to pop the clutch down a hill I could punch the bike back up the hill in first and not really notice it. What's the worst I can find when I dig into it?

Thanks for the reply. I will check those out as I'm picking the bike up later today. I'll post pics when I get them

Welcome to Blasterforum.

If it's truly running low on compression, there could be 1 reason, a few, or a combination of things that lead to to this condition. Could be a worn bore, tapered cylinder, worn out rings etc.

Best advise I can give you, is do a leak test before you break It down.
Measure the bore the proper way, or have someone do it to check for wear. Check the connecting rod on the crank for play....no more than 3mm side to side....0 up and down.

Its cool that your dad is helping you get this figured out. Check some of the things we have mentioned out, and don't be afraid to ask questions or search the site if you need help. Remember boss, the only stupid question is one that isn't asked.

Well the deal fell thru. I was hoping we could work something out but he was trying to rip me off. Now I'm looking for anyone in the Alton il area willing to trade something quad or dirt bike for my 14 foot flat bottom boat with 1968 2 stroke Johnson. Have titles to boat, trailer, and motor.