New LED taillight!

slickerthanyou

Dec 23, 2009
Been waitin to do this for a while, I wanted the same one from my 250 rappy but man they are expensive 50+. So been cruzin ebay and came across this one, Very close to the Rappy style and less than half the price comes with the bullet connectors on it which is a plus! I mounted it to my air box. sure will go good with my chromed grab bar!! Haven't hook up the electric yet I have to Run some new wires as i cut out all those when i did my build- But I still have the original one so a quick splice job later tonight and I'll have my ass all light up! Here's a pic mounted, I 'll add one when i hook it up and with it on. My next project will be to hook it up to the brakes, Not sure how involved it will be but i'd like to do that, especially for night riding! If anyone has any insight on how to hook up brake light signal (all you 03+ guys and those who are just electrically inclined), please chime In!

2rr822t.jpg

Been waitin to do this for a while, I wanted the same one from my 250 rappy but man they are expensive 50+. So been cruzin ebay and came across this one, Very close to the Rappy style and less than half the price comes with the bullet connectors on it which is a plus! I mounted it to my air box. sure will go good with my chromed grab bar!! Haven't hook up the electric yet I have to Run some new wires as i cut out all those when i did my build- But I still have the original one so a quick splice job later tonight and I'll have my ass all light up! Here's a pic mounted, I 'll add one when i hook it up and with it on. My next project will be to hook it up to the brakes, Not sure how involved it will be but i'd like to do that, especially for night riding! If anyone has any insight on how to hook up brake light signal (all you 03+ guys and those who are just electrically inclined), please chime In!

2rr822t.jpg

I was just getting ready to post the same question. I have the tail light........but I need a brake light.

looks good slick! i also got a tail light a while back from ebay similar to that one, red leds and 5 leds that are white that face upwards or down, i pointed them up and put a K&N sticker above it so it shows the sticker at night, looks sweet haha, and its also in the same spot on the air box as yours. nice work

Reactions: BanzaiBlaster
Looks good. I have been watching those same ones on ebay for a long time. Just haven't bought one yet. Would also like to have a brake light but my YFZ master does not have a switch on it.

Here's my thoughts on how to wire it in. I could be wrong but seems pretty simple. One lead of the switch would have to come from a tapped power source that is always hot (+). [Or it wouldn't work unless you have the light switch on.] Then one to ground on the frame (maybe I'm not sure about this yet), then the other switch lead to the light assembly connection. However I have a switch from a newer blaster and it only has two wires, so I need to do some more research. somebody on here has had to do this already!

here ya go bob, all switches only require 2 wires, the only place the new harness will require 2 wires is from the front switch to the rear switch, one being hot all the time to feed the rear switch, and one being the switched wire from the front switch, once they leave the rear switch for the tailight they can be the same wire to power the tail light from either switch, then ground the other wire of the light to a frame ground
also, which wire you feed on either swich does not matter, it only makes or breaks the circut

2hz4n14.jpg

1....power all the time, i'd come off the feed to the stock headlight switch, looks to be the yellow w/ red stripe in my manual
2....front switch
2a...rear switch
3....tail light
4....frame ground

Last edited:
Reactions: slickerthanyou
awk is correct on the wiring. The switch does not need to ground the taillight does. Also double checked my YFZ master. Has no switch but does have screw holes on the bottom to mount one.

i'll get a pick of my yfz handle today while i'm down gettin the boys bike ready for tomorrows assault on the mountain, maybe stabor can just find an ebay replacement for your hamdle ????