New guy with a Blaster Project

RockKrawler

Oct 30, 2008
Gresham,Oregon
Howdy all,
After posting up in the intro thread,some folks asked for pics of my Blaster.
Just acquired this in a trade for some tires and wheels,total cost so far $00.00 Zip,nada...
Specs are,Blaster yr unknown maybe 87,Yamaha YZ490,Lone Star 4" swingarm,Banshee Hubs,new O ring chain,decent tires/wheels, late model plastic on front,nothing real special...yet.
Came with another frame,engine (490),plastic,misc,almost enough for another bike.
I need to spend some time on here searching before i make any decisions,but an Alkie 490 is in the plans along with lots of custom fabbed parts,will use some parts off the spare Warrior we have sitting around.
How you see it here is how i rolled it out of the truck,checked to see it fires up,then put it away.

I will use this thread to update on the build once i get started.
Need to make room in the garage ,so i have to finish up my Zuk before this gets started on.

Blaster_Quad_007.sized.jpg

Blaster_Quad_006.sized.jpg

Blaster_Quad_004.sized.jpg

Blaster_Quad_003.sized.jpg

Blaster_Quad_001.sized.jpg

Blaster_Quad_002.sized.jpg

Last edited:
nice but man you gota get the right pipe for that motor. i dont think that stock blaster pipe is going to cut it for that 490 motor.

Like i said,don't know much about it,so thank you for pointing that out.
I do believe that somewhere in all the spare parts that came with it,is a real exhaust for the 490.
If not,building one will be fairly painless.

thats awesome .. get a vid ..lol..

We are going to check it out,make sure it is safe to test then i will have my guinea pig,i mean my son,take it for a test run before i tear it down.
(too old to go fast,i just like to build things and let my boys play on them)
I have to pickup the rest of the parts today,that will help determine which direction i go with this.
Hoping to hit Sand Lake in a couple weeks to see how it does,i need a base line on which to design from.
Will keep this thread updated,probably slowly until i plan the build out.

definitly going to want to somehow use the pipe designed for the 490 ,on a 2 stroke the exhaust is absolutely critical .

looks like alot of fun. I'm standing in line for some vidzs too!
When the time comes FTZ racing already has a jig for the pipe you need. Tell them you got a 490 Blasty...PB

Well finally got a chance to pickup the rest of the parts that was included in the deal.
Another frame with complete front suspension,steering,wiring,tank,seat that has a cover with "Cascade " on it,may be more embrodered on it,wiring,plastics,lots of xtra plastic late and early style,2 carrriers with axles,another swingarm that was lengthened,more exhaust parts,and the xtra YZ490jug I:I
As soon as i get the Zuk project running and moved out of the garage,i will start posting up what my plans are on the Blaster build .

Update

Yep,it's been a while.
Got the Blaster with the YZ490 to fire up,had some electrical issues and hadn't much time to play with it.
Will need to relocate the coil eventually,part of the problem.
It runs good,had some video footage to post up,but some how it got
deleted :(.
Still looking for various parts,like to have stuff on hand before tearing things apart.
Will try and get some more video,and then will post it up.
Somewhere along the way i decided that it was not in my best interest to even consider riding this thing,(too old,don't heal as fast as i used to)so i gave both of the quads to my 2 boys.
More to come soon...

lucky boys you got there lol, what exhaust did you put in it?

Ordering from FTZ for the drag exhaust,we will have 2 different setups.
The drag pipe will be for the Alkie engine after i finish it up.
The bike came with the stock 490 exhaust that i will take to work after getting the cuts the way i want to finish welding.
May even set it up on a robot welder so it turns out better.
Need to figure out what we are going to do for brakes,don't think the drum fronts are going to cut it.
A new clutch cable,brakes,fix exhaust,some little things then we will test ride it before tearing it down for a complete overhaul including paint.