New blaster owners, read !!

sporty982000

Jul 10, 2012
Illinois
Okay,

Lately, Ive seen a few new members here, congrats on joining the forum, we are glad to have you.

Recently, a few have asked some qestions or ran into some issues.

Folks, there is a free blaster manual here on the forum. A few reads of this, will help many of you out.

From there, we have great videos and tips from some gretty darn good experienced blaster builders.

Its all here, if using the search engine and taking the time to look.

But the most often, issue I see. Is that many of you within a few months of buyng you're blaster are now having some real engine issues.

Anytime you buy something used, check it over good, especially with 2 strokes.

compression check, leak down test ! cleaning the carb, new plug, making sure you are using the right oil and right mix, if you dont have oil injection on your blaster.

The biggest things and the best thing that you can do, is learn and read, and solve a problem before it gets worse and costs you $$$.

If you're blaster is 5 years or older, that you just got !

You need to be safe and replace those crank seals, if they have not been done in that time frame !

While crank seals can last longer. 5 to 6 years is when many crank seals become hard and start to allow air into them. (leaks).

Now, from a recent poll, many blaster motors, last a good 2 to 3 years. So if just bought a used blaster, and its not been rebuil in say 3 to 5 years.

Then more than likely, it could use some engine work. Doing it early, is going to save you money in the long run.

Because, you might only need a hone job and a new set of rings and new crank seals and for under $100. you can get this all done easily ! and do it yourself.

As I recently learned, when I rebuilt and did my last blaster (we own 3 of them).

The cylinder looked good, the piston and rings looked good, but a small crack was on the inside of the piston, due to piston slap to the cylinder wall !

You can still have decent compression and have a cylinder wall, lower part of the cylinder wall, that is out of spec and cause a failure down the road.

My lower cylinder wall was .006 out of spec. the average size of a human hair is about .003 ! People tend to not understand, tolerances and realize just how critical the specs are !

So, Folks, if you're blaster you just bought has not been rebuilt in the past 3 to 5 years. its good to realize, you need to do a good indepth checking it over, before you go hitting the trails !

Sporty

Last edited: